minhtientm249
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

LSAT vocab?

by minhtientm249 Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Should I try to study some vocab so that my comprehension in general will improve? I think I have less trouble with organizing the passage than with understanding each individual sentences.

Thank you.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: LSAT vocab?

by ohthatpatrick Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I hear you.

A lot of students share your frustration. Even in Logical Reasoning, there is occasionally a tough word that really impedes your understanding of the stimulus if you don't know it.

I think it would be hard to point you towards an LSAT "vocab list", because the test certainly isn't intending to test vocabulary (the way other prep tests, such as SAT and GRE, are).

With reading comp, the LSAT does want to test your ability to read challenging, dense material, so I think it would be better for you to make a regular habit out of reading challenging, dense material.

Some students create a regimen for themselves in which every night before they go to bed, they read about 10-15 minutes out of a scientific magazine, or an editorial from New York Times / Wall Street Journal. You could even buy a book of case briefs on Constitutional Law (for example) and read one case brief every day (good practice for law school anyway).

Whatever challenging material you read, push yourself to understand every sentence. When you don't, look up any words that are getting in your way.

If you have an e-reader, like a Kindle, you can often just point to any word you don't get and it will automatically display the definition of the word.

I think it would be an inefficient use of your time to buy a set of vocab flashcards; by regularly reading material that uses sophisticated vocabulary, you'll broaden your base of words while simultaneously improving your reading comprehension.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I like the suggestion. I got free stuff on Elisabethan writings on my Kindle. I plan to make it a habbit to read such material to get better at reading dense stuff -- grrhhh.

Lpm62229
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by Lpm62229 Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Sorry guys!!! I have been studying now and every RC passage I do I go through and write down the words I don't Know, and save them in my dictionary.com app on iPhone and write down the def on a flashcard. I can tell you that words such as "onerous, disparate, dissent, tenacious, rudimentary, draconious, superficial, prose", and many more have shown up multiple times, which have helped at least get 1 more right because of a better understanding of vocabulary. Take time out of your day to learn 3-4 new vocab words, even if you don't remember them you will have some what of a memory on whether the word is extreme or harsh or good.
TRUST ME IT WORKS!!! :D