Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

GeorgeG725
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

LSAT Retake Advice

by GeorgeG725 Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 am

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on what approach to take with my retake following an unsatisfactory score on last December's exam.

I had used the LSAT Trainer to self study for my last exam. Reading the book helped me improve drastically (went from low 160s to low 170s in a month), but my PT scores remained volatile (mid 160s to mid 170s) even 4 months into studying. For the most part, 170-174 was the score range for my PT's, and yet I only received a 165 on my exam. I'm not sure what to make of this result and wonder if I should continue self studying, enroll in a class or get a tutor to assess my problems.

More details on my problem:
    I was extremely nervous for the first half of the exam, calmed down somewhat towards the latter half but was nevertheless very anxious; I was probably never this nervous in my life.
    Before the exam, my PT's were mostly completed section by section(and often by even smaller segments), so I did not practice writing the exam at it's designed pace.
    I got about 2 more mistakes than usual for both LR and RC. For LG, I bombed one game completely. Normally I'd get -0 for LG, but there were times in my PT's where a game or even a rule stumps me, leading to a domino effect of misanswers...
    I've only recently got back into studying the LSAT and have signed up to write the exam in September.

One theory I have regarding my disappointing result is that I have a weak foundation and/or poor execution. That's supported by my quick but inconsistent improvements. If that is the case, I wonder if the Manhattan Guides are better than the Trainer as I've heard Manhattan does a better job at drilling and nailing down the basics. I've also considered taking a class for this but is concerned I might end up wasting too much time going over stuff I already know. Maybe all this is too vague to assess and get down to my underlying problems, if so I'll be happy to pay for an assessment session of sorts(I'm a bit hesitant to buy the 10 hour tutoring package if this is something that can be sorted out quick with the right eyes).

Thanks in advance guys for your help!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: LSAT Retake Advice

by ohthatpatrick Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Howdy. I'll offer you some quick thoughts:

- probably don't take a class. A lot of it WOULD be review, unless you lucked into taking a very small class with other veterans.

- tutoring can be purchased hourly (there might be a two hour minimum), so if you wanted to invest in some sort of diagnostic starting point to point you in the direction of a self-study summer, you could try that. I will say that it's hard to effectively diagnose a student in only one session, so you would probably get some good suggestions out of it, but it's hard to meet someone once and "nail it".

- for the sake of the test anxiety you were feeling, one of the most important things you do this summer might be do start a daily habit of 10-15 minutes of mindfulness breathing.

There's a lot of science suggesting it lowers stress/anxiety and improves retention / learning.

One of our teachers is actually a mindfulness center meditation leader, so he's shared a sample guided session with us, if you wanna give it a try:
https://soundcloud.com/user-91744640/15 ... s-practice

It sounds like if you spend the summer doing three things, you'll be fine:
1. Do a lot more timed sections, especially 2 or 3 back to back (it doesn't always have to be a full prep test)

2. Do some daily mindfulness breathing

3. Do and redo Games until you're so good at Games that you have a cushion of time for when things go awry, and you can really bank on being at most -1 or -2 on LG.

GeorgeG725
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: LSAT Retake Advice

by GeorgeG725 Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll be restarting meditation practice and doing the drills like you said.

I recently bought the Manhattan Prep LSAT Strategy Guides and wonder if you have a study schedule anywhere for me to follow(12 weeks till the exam, working full time). So far I am loving the books, and am planning to read through them one at a time. I am bit concerned however with this approach, as it doesn't seem to be particularly methodical nor strategic.

Thanks,

George