Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

joshringu
Thanks Received: 4
Forum Guests

LSAT Day - After Time Limit.

by joshringu Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 am

Hello Manhattan LSAT,

I had a few quick questions about the day of the LSAT.

First, how much time are we given between sections? I know there is a 10 to 15 minute break, but I heard various accounts of between sections let's say 1 and 2. From a minute stretch to going to the section right away.

Second, do we have time to guess after the time limit is up? As in random guesses. For example, if I had 2 or 3 questions unanswered and the proctor calls time, would I have time to quickly fill in random guesses for the answer sheet?

If not, will there be a penalty for when I do?

I just wanna make sure I am fully prepared for the exam. Nervous and excited at the same time. Good luck to everyone taking the June 2013 test!!!!

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: LSAT Day - After Time Limit.

by noah Sun May 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks for your questions. They're good ones for everyone to see the answers to.

joshringu Wrote:First, how much time are we given between sections? I know there is a 10 to 15 minute break, but I heard various accounts of between sections let's say 1 and 2. From a minute stretch to going to the section right away.

You will have no break whatsoever between any sections other than sections 3 and 4 (and perhaps a short one at the end of the 5th section, before the essay). When taking practice tests, literally start the next section immediately after the last one ends.

joshringu Wrote:Second, do we have time to guess after the time limit is up? As in random guesses. For example, if I had 2 or 3 questions unanswered and the proctor calls time, would I have time to quickly fill in random guesses for the answer sheet?

That'd be breaking the rule, and it's definitely not worth it. Instead, when there are a few minutes left, fill in your guesses except for one or two questions, and then get to work on those. It'd be very bad if the proctor saw you writing after time is called. It would be hard for a proctor to notice you writing an answer into a different answer section unless he or she was looking at you closely, but it's not a risk you want to take.

joshringu Wrote:If not, will there be a penalty for when I do?

Yes, you'd get a note in your LSAC record, which you definitely don't want!

joshringu Wrote:I just wanna make sure I am fully prepared for the exam. Nervous and excited at the same time. Good luck to everyone taking the June 2013 test!!!!

Definitely take some very realistic practice tests, and be a very mean proctor!

joshringu
Forum Guests

by joshringu Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Noah,

Thanks for you reply :) It really helps a lot. I am going to have to change a few minor details on how I am taking the practice exams currently. Hopefully it won't change my score drastically! But really, very helpful! Now I know how to actually take my preptests :)

Best,
Joshua Lee

joshringu
Forum Guests

by joshringu Mon May 13, 2013 5:02 pm

I had one more quick question!

So you said that the next section starts right after another (besides the break between Section 3 and 4). I was wondering, would I have enough time to set up my watch? It takes less than 4-5 seconds for me to adjust my watch again.

Thanks,
Josh

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

joshringu Wrote:I had one more quick question!

So you said that the next section starts right after another (besides the break between Section 3 and 4). I was wondering, would I have enough time to set up my watch? It takes less than 4-5 seconds for me to adjust my watch again.

Thanks,
Josh

That should be fine--it's a nice ritual to reset the brain. Worse case scenario, you've used up about 1/420th of the section time for that ;)

joshringu
Forum Guests

by joshringu Fri May 17, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for your reply! Helped a lot :) Got an analog watch and it doesn't seem to take too much time to readjust.

I just had a few quick questions. Sorry about all this -_-.

So I went to the LSAC website and some questions came to mind. I will email them just in case too.

First, my government ID (Driver's license) is all good to go. EXCEPT, one letter is misspelled in my address. For example, it should be HUMBOLDT, but it is spelled HUMBOLOT. I didn't realize until now. Is this okay?

Second, by passport-type photo for admissions ticket, do they mean the Costco passport photo? If that suffices, how will I prove that it was taken within the last 6 months?

Last but not least, I have a small bladder. On the LSAC website it said I can't leave the testing room. Would I be able to go use the restroom during my fifteen minute break?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for answering them!

P.S., your posts helped a lot Noah, especially the ones in the explanation section for LR.

Best,
Josh

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm

joshringu Wrote:Thanks for your reply! Helped a lot :) Got an analog watch and it doesn't seem to take too much time to readjust.

I just had a few quick questions. Sorry about all this -_-.

So I went to the LSAC website and some questions came to mind. I will email them just in case too.

First, my government ID (Driver's license) is all good to go. EXCEPT, one letter is misspelled in my address. For example, it should be HUMBOLDT, but it is spelled HUMBOLOT. I didn't realize until now. Is this okay?

Second, by passport-type photo for admissions ticket, do they mean the Costco passport photo? If that suffices, how will I prove that it was taken within the last 6 months?

Last but not least, I have a small bladder. On the LSAC website it said I can't leave the testing room. Would I be able to go use the restroom during my fifteen minute break?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for answering them!

P.S., your posts helped a lot Noah, especially the ones in the explanation section for LR.

Best,
Josh

You'll definitely be able to go to the bathroom during the beak (and if need be, you can leave during the test--though it's far from ideal). As silly at it may sound practice not going to the bathroom for hours. (I traveled to Sri Lanka one summer and ended up on lots of long bus rides and found that I eventually increased my "tolerance".)

The passport instructions are spelled out (size, color, etc.). The 6-month thing is just a common sense issue -- don't show up with some picture from long ago as it might not look like you.

The ID issue I don't know. Seems like not a big deal, but perhaps worth asking LSAC and seeing if you need to get a note from DMV saying it's misspelled. I imagine the worst that happens is that you have to mail in more proof later.

joshringu
Forum Guests

by joshringu Fri May 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you!

Yes, LSAC replied, everything will be fine.

I am actually practicing my tolerance to use the restroom during preptests lol. A funny skill but I feel like it would be helpful during the actual exam.

They said it was fine to have the address misspelled, as long as the NAME is exact.