Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

LR: Specific Advice on Timing Issues

by chike_eze Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:47 am

I resumed timing my practice sets today after 2 weeks of un-timed bliss. The idea was to improve my understanding of question types which (without the pressure of time) should help improve my overall speed. Cos right now I'm dead slow.

However, while doing 2 LR sections today, I noticed some bad habits creeping up again... they are:

1. Reading too fast
2. Re-reading the prompt (mostly due to issue above )
3. Wasting too much time on one Question
4. General anxiety about running out of time (tick-tock)

Kindly offer some words of wisdom on how to fight these enemies of progress. The 4th issue is less pronounced now than it was a few months ago, but the others are more stubborn, they cling... Help :-)

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: LR: Specific Advice on Timing Issues

by LSAT-Chang Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 am

I have the exact same problem. I am currently trying to "master" the question types before I time myself as I am aiming for accuracy.. but I am afraid that giving myself at least double the amount of time and getting the answer correct doesn't really prepare me for solving the problems quicker. I recently did the drill on flaw questions in the LR strategy guide (which says to give myself no longer than 20 minutes for 15 problems) and I ended up spending about 30 minutes in total (and even then, got 4 questions out of 18 wrong)... so clearly I haven't "mastered" the flaw type yet, so I was looking for some tips on what I should do now... I definitely don't want to get in the bad habit of "knowing" that I have like 2-3 minutes to solve a problem, since I know I will be only having half of that in the actual exam. But also, if I feel "constrained" in time, then I feel like I'm really rushing through the problems and once I see an answer choice like (C) that I "think" I like, I would circle and just move on without even reading (D) and (E) because I'm nervous of how much time I've spent reading the prompt and trying to "figure out the gap".

chike_eze
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 pm

changsoyeon Wrote:I definitely don't want to get in the bad habit of "knowing" that I have like 2-3 minutes to solve a problem, since I know I will be only having half of that in the actual exam. But also, if I feel "constrained" in time, then I feel like I'm really rushing through the problems...

You have captured my issue exactly. I decided to go back to timed practice sets, because I feel I've gained new understanding that need to be tested under timed conditions. Strategy: Do individual LR sections timed and review untimed.

When I was doing mostly untimed, I noticed that I got some questions wrong (especially those between 1 and 15) mostly because I spent too much time
over-thinking the question. That being said, I still miss more questions timed than untimed.

I might still go back to untimed for particular LR question types or 1-2 PTs, but majority of my practice sets will be timed from now on. I think untimed sets helped me diagnose (to the extent possible) why I was getting some questions wrong --> reading or reasoning issues. Reading = missed key words, most/some, term shift etc. Reasoning = read but had no f-r-e-e-k-i-n-g idea what the LSAT tricksters were talking about.

We forge ahead :-)

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 4 times.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:26 am

So let's be clear. You will always miss more questions under timed conditions than without timed constraints.

When you work through individual question types; strengthening, weakening, flaw, assumption, etc. go ahead and work on those untimed. When you work on complete sections or practice tests, always do those under timed conditions.

Between now and the middle of August, I would take no more than 1 practice every other week. Between the middle of August and the 2nd week of September I would take exactly 1 practice test per week. Between the 2nd week of September and the LSAT I would take at least 2 practice tests per week. If my plan is to take a practice test on a given Saturday, then on the Friday preceding, I would take 2 timed sections (can be of the sectional formats LR, RC, or LG). The timed sections the day before a practice test are there to get you adjusted back to working under timed conditions. I'd also make sure to warm up before I take a practice test; my personal warm up routine is 2 LG games, 1 RC passage, and the firs 10 LR questions from a section.

Remember that the earlier questions in an LR section are easier, with a short plateau of difficulty between questions 9-13 and the most challenging series of questions between 17-23. Go with your gut instincts early in the section, and don't over-analyze. Later in the section, start becoming more skeptical. If an answer choice looks too good to be true in an area of the section you know is supposed to be more challenging - double check and be very careful with language.

Start the section by being very flexible on language, and only start to tighten up your definitions if you end up with more than one answer choice. As you get later in the section, reverse that. Start with a tighter definition of your terms and only become more flexible if you end up with no answer choices that look good.

Remember it's much easier to move from accurate to fast, than it is to move from fast to accurate.

chike_eze
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:04 pm

mshermn Wrote:Start the section by being very flexible on language, and only start to tighten up your definitions if you end up with more than one answer choice. As you get later in the section, reverse that. Start with a tighter definition of your terms and only become more flexible if you end up with no answer choices that look good.

Remember it's much easier to move from accurate to fast, than it is to move from fast to accurate.

Thanks Matt -- I appreciate your feedback. I already hit Print! I will incorporate your suggestions into my study schedule.

Cheers.

LSAT-Chang
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 pm

mshermn Wrote:So let's be clear. You will always miss more questions under timed conditions than without timed constraints.

When you work through individual question types; strengthening, weakening, flaw, assumption, etc. go ahead and work on those untimed. When you work on complete sections or practice tests, always do those under timed conditions.

Between now and the middle of August, I would take no more than 1 practice every other week. Between the middle of August and the 2nd week of September I would take exactly 1 practice test per week. Between the 2nd week of September and the LSAT I would take at least 2 practice tests per week. If my plan is to take a practice test on a given Saturday, then on the Friday preceding, I would take 2 timed sections (can be of the sectional formats LR, RC, or LG). The timed sections the day before a practice test are there to get you adjusted back to working under timed conditions. I'd also make sure to warm up before I take a practice test; my personal warm up routine is 2 LG games, 1 RC passage, and the firs 10 LR questions from a section.

Remember that the earlier questions in an LR section are easier, with a short plateau of difficulty between questions 9-13 and the most challenging series of questions between 17-23. Go with your gut instincts early in the section, and don't over-analyze. Later in the section, start becoming more skeptical. If an answer choice looks too good to be true in an area of the section you know is supposed to be more challenging - double check and be very careful with language.

Start the section by being very flexible on language, and only start to tighten up your definitions if you end up with more than one answer choice. As you get later in the section, reverse that. Start with a tighter definition of your terms and only become more flexible if you end up with no answer choices that look good.

Matt, this is awesome. Thank you SO much for this detailed feedback. I couldn't have asked for more! I am so glad that someone (you) explicitly told me that I can do the practice sets and questions on the strategy guide "un-timed" as I was always bothered by that "15 questions -- give yourself no longer than 20 minutes".. but now I feel so relieved that I won't feel stupid not being able to solve all of them in 20 minutes and that I will do the actual sections/full tests TIMED. Thank you for this awesome response!!!! :D

shaynfernandez
Thanks Received: 5
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by shaynfernandez Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:11 pm

This is truly a great thread. I have been taking a similar study approach. I have broken up the 3 parts (LG, LR, RC) into two sessions during Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. In the mornings I do one full accuracy exercise (a section without time) and then do 1 section timed. After I do these I go through and make the corrections and notate incorrect answers and why I believe I got them wrong. I then go to work and when I return home, I do 2-3 timed sections. I have found that this develops familiarity with the sections and I begin to not only understand the question types better, but I develop a feel of what "the answer should look like" for a particular question type.
Once I reach Thursday I do my overall reviews in the morning, and take a timed PT and make corrections. When I return home I do another full PT, again in timed conditions. Friday is a relaxing day where i spend the majority of the day before work going over an "analysis" of how i am doing and my tendencies. Saturday mornings i spend the days doing specific overviews, going over my weak areas in un-timed conditions, and then timed conditions. Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest but this is the most critical day in my weekly study session. I do a two timed PT's and hope to see progress.
I have developed this strategy by reading numerous threads on this site as well as TLS.com, I have found that a routine keeps me calm, and minimizes my frustrations (which is often difficult). I have found that it is imperative to read other peoples strategies and try them out to develop if they work for you. The untimed and timed combinations have helped me diagnose my abilities and shortcomings.

I hope this helps and I would really like this thread to continue.

chike_eze
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 pm

shaynfernandez Wrote:In the mornings I do one full accuracy exercise (a section without time) and then do 1 section timed. After I do these I go through and make the corrections and notate incorrect answers and why I believe I got them wrong.

Big fan of notating wrong answers. I've also been working on putting together a list of flaws I come across during review -- correlation v. causation, sufficient for necessary, adhominem, etc. These I do sporadically though, no set schedule for ID Flaws.

shaynfernandez Wrote:Once I reach Thursday I do my overall reviews in the morning, and take a timed PT and make corrections. When I return home I do another full PT, again in timed conditions.

Most times my reviews take a long time, so I've not been able to efficiently fit timed PT/review on the same day. Work in progress. Maybe you can give me some pointers.

shaynfernandez Wrote:Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest but this is the most critical day in my weekly study session. I do a two timed PT's and hope to see progress.

Impressive. Your dedication puts me to shame. That's what I enjoy about this LSAT forum. We all keep each other motivated -- at least y'all motivate me to do better :-)

shaynfernandez Wrote:I have found that a routine keeps me calm, and minimizes my frustrations (which is often difficult). I have found that it is imperative to read other peoples strategies and try them out to develop if they work for you.

I have also been working hard on my focus/attention issues. I've noticed that I tend to be anxious at the beginning of my timed PTs and fatigued at the end. Both periods are when I loose the most focus. In the next few weeks, I hope to improve on my ability to focus as I continue to improve on content mastery.

Great stuff you added here, sir :-)
(I'll definitely be stealing some of your moves "down,forward A+B" anybody remember that move? Street fighter or Mortal Kombat)
Last edited by chike_eze on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT-Chang
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 pm

chike_eze Wrote:
I have also been working hard on my focus/attention issues. I've noticed that I tend to be anxious at the beginning of my timed PTs and fatigued at the end. Both periods are when I loose the most focus. I hope to improve on my ability to focus as I continue improve on understanding and mastery of content.

I am 100% with you here. I'm actually anxious till the end of section 1 or even throughout section 2. My anxiety lasts a longggg time which really sucks. But what is very ironic for me is that I actually do so much better when I am anxious than when I am not. When I compare my answers, I realize that when I am NOT anxious, I tend to get many questions wrong due to silly mistakes (it's like I am not focused when I'm not anxious - and my mind starts wandering off somewhere else) whereas if I am anxious, the questions that I do get wrong are all just one those considered "hard" problems (obviously which I need to develop more skills on as well) -- but overall, great thread!!! Glad I am not the only one...

chike_eze
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 pm

changsoyeon Wrote:But what is very ironic for me is that I actually do so much better when I am anxious than when I am not. When I compare my answers, I realize that when I am NOT anxious, I tend to get many questions wrong due to silly mistakes (it's like I am not focused when I'm not anxious - and my mind starts wandering off somewhere else) whereas if I am anxious, the questions that I do get wrong are all just one those considered "hard" problems

Hmm... that's an interesting situation. From just mere observation, I think I tend to miss more LR/RC when I'm anxious than when I'm not.

However, next time I'll try to back my hunch with data, i.e., compare how well I do in the beginning, middle and end.

But I guess performance throughout the LSAT is related not only to anxiety but also to one's comfort level with LR/RC/LG. LG is my weakest section. O well, I guess it's not perfect science, but I'm sure it'll help further troubleshoot issues.

Thanks.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 am

I just thought I would comment on the anxiety issue that's mentioned above. Anxiety is one of the most important non-skills related elements to the LSAT. The test is so important that it's only natural to take it seriously, work hard, and aim to maximize your potential.

With all the pressure people throw upon themselves to perform well, sometimes it's hard to think clearly. But we have to remember that no two people are identical and that we all cope with stress and anxiety differently. For some it can be motivating and for others it can be distracting/even debilitating.

and while I'm here, I should mention...
shaynfernandez Wrote:Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest but this is the most critical day in my weekly study session. I do a two timed PT's and hope to see progress.

If there is anyway I can get you to stop taking two practice tests in one day, tell me what to say! It's really not a good idea. First, the fatigue factor is important. You don't want to consistently produce scores that are deflated because you were exhausted when you sat down to take the second LSAT in one day, and thereby reduce your confidence. Second, you don't want to burn through so much material so quickly. Try and learn more from less material - conserve! And finally, you haven't learned anything between the two tests. During my prep period for my first official LSAT I took a practice test 5 days per week for 3 weeks in a row. Low and behold. i got the same score for 3 weeks in a row. That was a terrible idea. I should have tried to learn more from each of the practice tests that I did take, rather than simply move on to the next one.

Good luck and keep prepping!

shaynfernandez
Thanks Received: 5
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by shaynfernandez Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 am

The multiple PT's has been somewhat of a debate in my mind, just time consuming but more due to a lack of concentration. I guess what keeps me wanting to do so much in a short amount of time is the rapidly approaching date of October 1st, and since its summer my study time is a bit more flexible compared to when classes begin in September. I definitely see what you are saying about running through material and getting worn down. This strategy has been very costly in that sense. For some reason I have had the mindset that it would be better for me to take PT's in "difficult" conditions, this may be due to previous "training experience" with sports and other skill building exercises... what are your thoughts on study conditions?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 am

Go for "real understanding" regardless of the pace.

Here are some questions I'd ask myself to measure that understanding...

LR
1. what are the most tempting wrong answers in LR?
2. can I describe what makes them tempting even though they're wrong?
3. can I categorize them into larger ideas within each of the question types? (hint: tempting but incorrect answers within question types share some really common features)

LG
1. do I have a game board I feel comfortable with for each of the games that I'm seeing?
2. do I look to follow inferential reasoning when organizing the information and when prompted to by the question stem?
3. what create opportunities to frame within each of the game types?

RC
1. am I organizing the information in the passage before starting with the questions?
2. what information is important?
3. do I see any common patterns in the passages (ex: a phenomenon is introduced, an explanation is offered to explain it, evidence is offered in support of that explanation, the author provides evidence against that explanation, and then the author offers an alternative explanation)

Finally, I prefer a quiet place where I can think undisturbed when I'm working on the LSAT. But that's not so important. Just try not to put anything in your way to make things tougher on yourself than what you would typically see when taking the real LSAT. For example, I've spoken with students were not marking in "guess letters" if they ran out of time before they completed the section, saying that they felt like it would inflate their true score. Sure, but on the real day you'll be filling in guess letters, so let's see you you'd score if this were the test. Likewise, I wouldn't take a second test back to back. Honestly, I spend so much energy taking one test. I would do terrible if I were to turn around and start another.

... think about those questions above!

chike_eze
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:13 am

mshermn Wrote:RC
1. am I organizing the information in the passage before starting with the questions?
3. do I see any common patterns in the passages (ex: a phenomenon is introduced, an explanation is offered to explain it, evidence is offered in support of that explanation, the author provides evidence against that explanation, and then the author offers an alternative explanation)

I've been working on RC (more so than before) these past few weeks. Focusing primarily on structure and main point (t'is been a struggle, but a good transition). I find that I'm more confident going to the questions when I write short notes in the margins and underline key words/phrases.

I've tried suggested approaches by MLSAT and other sources, but "margin notes" and underlining seem to work the best for me because that's what I'm used to. It's like having a dialogue with the text when I write short notes in the margins. No doubt this approach slows me down a bit, but I tend to understand more.

Any Thoughts??

PS. I also use brackets and boxes (borrowed from a LSAT blogger)

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 pm

That sounds good. I don't personally annotate anywhere when reading through a passage, but you find it helpful (which most people do), you should. And what you described sounds perfectly reasonable.

scottflanary
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by scottflanary Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:44 am

mshermn Wrote:Go for "real understanding" regardless of the pace.

Here are some questions I'd ask myself to measure that understanding...

LR
1. what are the most tempting wrong answers in LR?
2. can I describe what makes them tempting even though they're wrong?
3. can I categorize them into larger ideas within each of the question types? (hint: tempting but incorrect answers within question types share some really common features)

LG
1. do I have a game board I feel comfortable with for each of the games that I'm seeing?
2. do I look to follow inferential reasoning when organizing the information and when prompted to by the question stem?
3. what create opportunities to frame within each of the game types?

RC

Finally, I prefer a quiet place where I can think undisturbed when I'm working on the LSAT. But that's not so important. Just try not to put anything in your way to make things tougher on yourself than what you would typically see when taking the real LSAT. For example, I've spoken with students were not marking in "guess letters" if they ran out of time before they completed the section, saying that they felt like it would inflate their true score. Sure, but on the real day you'll be filling in guess letters, so let's see you you'd score if this were the test. Likewise, I wouldn't take a second test back to back. Honestly, I spend so much energy taking one test. I would do terrible if I were to turn around and start another.

... think about those questions above!

Thank you for this post and your earlier post. I'm becoming more and more frustrated with my performance, as I am not hitting my target score band after working for about 3 months with this material. I'm hovering around the same upper-150s range and only broken a 160 once out of 10-ish practice exams. Perhaps I'm missing something on my reviews of my most common errors? I'll take your points into consideration. Thanks!

In the meantime, does anyone have the same predicament as me? Studying and reviewing, with little gains? Any additional advice?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Here's my thoughts on plateauing scores. I believe that intuition is really important because it allows you to move very quickly and that process/technique is really important because it allows you to move past your intuitive limitations. If you tried to do the whole test through process/technique you'd simply never finish the test in time. But then again, if you solely relied on your intuition you'd plateau at some natural score and then you'd be stuck.

If you're stuck at the same score, build more process into your approach. First do it in a way that might mess you up time wise, but will get you accurate answer choices. And then through repetition and rigor work to make that process faster until you can utilize it in a way that will allow you to complete the sections in time.

Good luck with your prep!