Ask us anything about our curriculum (that doesn't come from one of our books below).

AlexY297
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

LR Question/ Properly Inferred

by AlexY297 Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Hello, I encountered this question and wasn't in any of the Manhattan forums. Here is my breakdown and just wanted make sure if I was approaching this correctly. Thank you, Alex

People with serious financial problems are so worried about money that they cannot be
happy. Their misery makes everyone close to them family, friends, and colleagues
unhappy as well. Only if their financial problems are solved can they and those around them
be happy.

Which one of the following statements can be properly inferred from the passage?

A)Only serious problems make people unhappy./ serious problems no.. talking about financial ones
B)People who solve their serious financial problems will be happy./ necessary we don’t know
C)People who do not have serious financial problems will be happy./ necessary we don’t know
D)If people are unhappy, they have serious financial problems./ necessary we don't know
E)If people are happy, they do not have serious financial problems./ yes

SFP→ not happy
happy→ not SFP

happy→ FPS
Not FPS→ not happy

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3804
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: LR Question/ Properly Inferred

by ohthatpatrick Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:50 pm

It looks like it's a GMAT question (from a quick web search), which is why it wouldn't be on our LSAT forum.

You should be careful with your "happy / not happy" symbols, since they mean different things at different times.

you have SFP --> you are not happy --> others around you are not happy

The last sentence is redundant, since we already know this from the contrapositive of our original chain.

Others around us are happy --> we are happy --> we do not have SFP

The way you thought about answers seems spot on.