Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

velvet
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Logical reasoning--read passage or question first?

by velvet Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed elsewhere.
What approach--reading passage first or read question stem first for Logical Reasoning--does Manhattan advocate? I would think reading the question first allows you to have more focused purpose when reading passage. While the current prep course I'm enrolled in says to read question first then attack passage, I know the "Bible" series says you should read passage first. I ultimately want to know what method is best because I am having timing issues in getting through the entire section. Thanks

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Logical reasoning--read passage or question first?

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:03 pm

It's not the case that one method is better than the other. It depends on the person. For many experts and the starting spot for the Manhattan LSAT curriculum, it is suggested that you read the question stem first, understand the your task, and then read the stimulus (or passage).

Though that strategy won't be "best" for everyone, we think it's the best for the majority of test-takers. For some, and myself personally, I read the stimulus first - rhythm is very important to me in LR, and I feel more comfortable not having to seek out the question in the middle of the text.

Try it "question stem" first, then "stimulus." I bet that approach will give you the most purpose when reading the stimulus. But don't fail to consider the task once again, as you seek to eliminate answer choices. The task is very helpful in defining tendencies of incorrect answers.

Good luck!