carina.ballard
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Logic Challenge #6 - The Accountant

by carina.ballard Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 am

For #4. If Gerner's code has a higher numeric value than Jordan's code, and if Gardner's code is even, each of the following must be true EXCEPT:
I found all choices to be true again.
I set it up like this:
J:12 G:54 H:63 F:78

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Fortnightly Logic Game #6 - The Accountant

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:51 pm

That is one possible arrangement, but another equally valid one would be:

J: 12, G: 58, H: 63, F: 74.

This is a "must be true except" question, and since (E) doesn't have to be true, (E) is the correct answer.

Hope that helps!

ReadingNation
Forum Guests

by ReadingNation Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Can someone help me with question #3 ... I copy and pasted the question below with the answer that was credited highlighted ...

3. If Gardner’s code has a lower numeric value than Jordan’s code, which one of the following must be false?

(A) Gardner’s code ends with a 4.
(B) Gardner’s code ends with a 3.
(C) Gardner’s code ends with an 8.
(D) Frank’s code ends with a 4.
(E) Frank’s code ends with an 8.

The set up below ostensibly proves that 'B' is possible, thus leading me to believe it can not be the right answer ...

F: 78 H:56 J:42 G:13

Assuming nothing is wrong, it also proves that (E) is possible

I went through all the rules ... all the digits from 1-8 were only used once ... I avoided the first rule all together by not having '6' go in one of the four 'tens' place ... Hunt's code has a higher numeric value than Jordan's code ... Frank's code has the highest numeric value ... Jordan's code ends with a two ... and three of the four codes are even ... what am I missing : ) ?

Below I also came up with three hypos that show that a) c) and d) are also possible, assuming nothing is wrong with my set up ...

A) F: 78 H:63 J:52 G:14

C) F:76 H:53 J:42 G:18

D) F:84 H:76 J:52 G:13

akash.patel.md
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Logic Challenge #6 - The Accountant

by akash.patel.md Fri May 20, 2011 1:29 am

B isnt possible because one of the codes has to be 63

jarom
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by jarom Fri May 20, 2011 1:36 pm

ReadingNation Wrote:Can someone help me with question #3 ... I copy and pasted the question below with the answer that was credited highlighted ...

3. If Gardner’s code has a lower numeric value than Jordan’s code, which one of the following must be false?

(A) Gardner’s code ends with a 4.
(B) Gardner’s code ends with a 3.
(C) Gardner’s code ends with an 8.
(D) Frank’s code ends with a 4.
(E) Frank’s code ends with an 8.

I answered B for this question and the system told me my answer was wrong! (it says C is the correct answer). But the way I see it, it has to be B:

- we are given that G < J, or in other words J > G. We also know (from the set-up) that H > J and F > all of them. So that gives us

F > H > J > G

Since we know one of our codes is 63 and that there must be 3 even codes, that means that the other codes must be _2, _4 and _8. (and we are told that J gets _2) What can go in the tens slot for these codes? 1, 5 and 7. Well, 7_ is going to be bigger than 63 so that must be F. 5_ and 1_ are both less than 63 so 63 must be H. J then has to get the 5 in the tens spot (making it 52) and G gets the 1 in the tens spot.

Thus we have: F = 7_, H = 63, J = 52 and G = 1_ where the _ is either 4 or 8 (we can't know). Looking at the answer choices, A, C, D and E all talk about G or F ending in 4 or 8 which we know MUST be true, so those can't be right. The only option left is B, which says G ends in 3 which we can plainly see is not the case. Therefore, that is the right choice! Isn't it? What am I missing?

samantha.b233
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by samantha.b233 Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 pm

I see there is something seriously troubling with this game. I tried it and get only the first question right. Some posts here say according to the first rule "the code with a six in the tens place has a three in the units place," there is a 63 code predetermined. Looking back at the questions and studying the answers make me think that the correct answers make perfect sense (now). But what still bugs me is the way this rule is worded. I am not the only one that saw it and thought, ok, if 6_, then 63, which means it is still possible to have a number like 36.

I don't this is a good way to put the rule. Nor do I think this is common in the real test.

AnnaS13
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by AnnaS13 Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:29 pm

samantha.b233 Wrote:I see there is something seriously troubling with this game. I tried it and get only the first question right. Some posts here say according to the first rule "the code with a six in the tens place has a three in the units place," there is a 63 code predetermined. Looking back at the questions and studying the answers make me think that the correct answers make perfect sense (now). But what still bugs me is the way this rule is worded. I am not the only one that saw it and thought, ok, if 6_, then 63, which means it is still possible to have a number like 36.

I don't this is a good way to put the rule. Nor do I think this is common in the real test.

I agree with you in that I interpret the 63 clue to mean that If 6 then 3. But if it means must have 63, then that locks in many of the answers. Why is this not if 6 then 3?