NicoleK891
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Logic Challenge #4 - A Day in the Park

by NicoleK891 Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

I get confused by the wording "complete and accurate list."
In page 159 of the Manhattan Prep Logic Games book, it notes that any question asking for a "complete and accurate list" is looking for a VIABLE SCENARIO rather than a list of ALL that could work.

Question 2 in Logic Challenge #4 reads: Which one of the following represents a complete and accurate list of parks to which North Park could be directly connected?

I was under the impression that, in this game, North Park could only be connected to 2 different parks (because it must be connected to less parks than M, and M could be only be connected to 3 parks at most). Therefore, the answer listed as correct (C) wouldn't provide a VIABLE SCENARIO as the book suggests we should be trying to find, but rather it gives a complete list of all those that could work.

I hope this makes sense and that someone can give me an explanation for this.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Logic Challenge #4 - A Day in the Park

by ohthatpatrick Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm

"complete and accurate" doesn't by itself tell you whether you're looking for a
POSSIBLE LIST
or a
LIST OF POSSIBILITIES

What tells you that is the placement of the "could be"

POSSIBLE LIST
Which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of parks to which North Park is directly connected?

LIST OF POSSIBILITIES
Which one of the following represents a complete and accurate list of parks to which North Park could be directly connected?

If we said, at a certain bar, every night there are two American beers on special. Here is a complete list of all the beers they have:
AMERICAN: Coors, Bud, Miller, Sam Adams
IMPORTED: Heineken, Tsingtao, Stella Artois

If we ask
"Which of the following could be a complete and accurate list of the beers on special",
how many names long would a correct answer be?

If we ask
"Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the beers that could be on special",
how many names long would a correct answer be?

In the first case, it would be two names long.
Coors, Miller
Bud, Sam Adams
etc.

Those each COULD BE a complete list of the beers on special.

Meanwhile, the second case would be four names long.
Coors, Miller, Bud, Sam Adams is a complete list of the beers that COULD BE on special.

Does that make sense?

GarrettP418
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Logic Challenge #4 - A Day in the Park

by GarrettP418 Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 am

I didn't see a walk-through of this game, so I'll give it a go with this explanation:

Essentially, as the figure shows, the set-up gives a lot of information here. Between rules 1 and 3, we know that in number of connections, M > N > K. We also know that M cannot connect to J. As there are only 5 players, and parks can't connect to themselves, M must connect to 3 parks, N to 2 parks, and K to 1 park. This also means that M must connect to each of K, N, and L; K can only connect to M; and N must also connect to either L or J.

Question 1: This should be answered with the simple combination of rules 1 and 3. M > N > K. Answer is A
Question 2: From our map, we know that N can potentially connect to M, L, and J (though not all 3). Answer is C.
Question 3: From our map, if we have N connecting to M and J, then it cannot connect to L (it already has its two allowed connections). Answer is A.
Question 4: From our map, we know if J connects to two parks it must be N and L. In this situation, L can't also connect to N because then N would have 3 connections. Answer is C.