jaredcall
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Logic Challenge #4 - A Day in the Park

by jaredcall Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:03 pm

The statement contains 5 parks, all of which are connected to at least one other park. This means that we're not counting paths that may connect a park directly to itself. This means that the most paths possible per park is 4.

If M does not connect to J (and vice versa) this means that neither M nor J can have 4 paths. To have 4 paths they'd have to have connect to all other parks. The prohibition from M connecting to J means that they cannot connect to all other parks, thereby limiting M and J to a maximum of 4 each.

Since all parks have at least one connection, M > N > K means (assuming we're not dealing with fractional paths) means that M=3, N=2, K=1.

If N is connected to 2 parks, then the correct answer to question #2 cannot possibly be C, as C has 3 connections.

If this is incorrect, I would very much appreciate knowing why.

gregory.mortenson
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
First Responder

Re: Fortnightly Logic Game #4 - wrong answer on game Q2?

by gregory.mortenson Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:29 am

Jared,

You are on the right track but got thrown off by the wording of the question. This is an issue that came up in our class a few weeks ago: the use of the word "could" in a question prompt and its effect on what the question is really asking.

Questions such as these can either be asking for 1) all of the different possibilities if you were to make multiple frames of the game; or 2) one specific example of one particular frame (aka a 'snapshot'). The placement of the word "could" within the sentence determines what option the question is looking for.

This is a very subtle grammar rule, but think about what "could be" is actually referring to. If it is referring to the "complete and accurate list" it is asking for one particular list aka a snapshot. On the other hand, if "could be" is referring to the objects of the game (ie, the parks, as in the original question) it is asking for all of the different possibilities of the object. Generally, if a question prompt has "could be" AFTER "complete and accurate list" then it is asking for all of the options. If "could be" is BEFORE "complete and accurate list" (ie, referring to the list itself) then it is asking for a snapshot.

For example, Question Two asks "Which one of the following represents a complete and accurate list of parks to which North Park could be directly connected?" The placement of "could be" in this question is referring to North Park and all of the different possibilities for North Park's connections if multiple frames were used.

If Question Two were reworded as "Which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of parks to which North Park is directly connected?" then "could be" would be referring to the "complete and accurate list" and would be looking for a 'snapshot' of one particular frame. Your answer above corresponds to this scenario.

This is a difficult concept to explain so please let me know what you think.

dan
Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by dan Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:32 am

Great question, Jared, and an equally good response, Greg. Thanks for posting that. Here's a simpler example to illustrate Greg's point:

Suppose the manager of a restaurant has three beers in stock on Friday: Bud, Amstel, and Corona. He can choose to put any of these beers on the menu, but the menu has room for a maximum of two beers on any given day.

1. Which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of beers placed on Friday's menu?

(A) Bud, Amstel, Corona,
(B) Bud, Corona

2. Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of beers that could be placed on Friday's menu?

(A) Bud, Amstel, Corona,
(B) Bud, Corona

Did you answer these questions differently? Notice the difference in the placement of the word "could" and the effect it has on how you interpreted the question.

dan

jaydizzle
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by jaydizzle Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Can someone who got this game upload an explanation with a diagram? I am struggling on these mapping games. I only got the first question right from this.

jfaulisi
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Fortnightly Logic Game #4 - A Day in the Park

by jfaulisi Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:05 am

Can you please post the initial set up and key deductions for this game, in the forum I only saw an explanation for question #2. I think I am missing something, because I struggled with all the questions in this game, except for #1.

Thank you.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Fortnightly Logic Game #4 - A Day in the Park

by noah Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Oh, we used to have the solutions up on our site - let me grab them for you...
A Day in the Park solutions v2.pdf
(70.4 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times

Enjoy!