aradunakhor
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

LG wording

by aradunakhor Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 am

Hi, I saw the following game in a LG prep book:

A school's team will compete in a 7 game tournament. All games include exactly one member from the school's team. The team members - A,B,C,D,E,F - will be assigned to play in games according to the following rules:

One of the rules is stated as:

At most, two team members each play two games in the tournament.

My understanding is that this rule means that you cannot have 3 or more players who play exactly 2 games, but does does not preclude a member from playing 3 games (ex: a 3-1-1-1-1 distribution). However, the prep book explanation seems to take the rule's meaning so that by itself it precludes any member from playing more than 2 games (it didn't deduce it from its interactions with other rules). Which one is the correct interpretation for the LSAT?

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: LG wording

by tommywallach Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 am

What book is that from? That seems like pretty terrible wording! I wouldn't use this book! : )

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

aradunakhor
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by aradunakhor Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 am

It's from the book Ace the LSAT Logic Games (Practice Test 2, Game 2): http://amzn.to/1jHFBZr

I've encountered some cases like this one where I wasn't sure of the meaning, however they've been rare and otherwise I think it's been a great resource.

For this particular question, there was one other rule "C always plays the fourth game and one additional game." From this rule and the one quoted earlier, the author then deduced that there has to be a 2-2-1-1-1 distribution of games played by person (so one player plays no games).

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm

There are plenty of great, legitimate companies making LSAT books. I wouldn't use a book that would publish a game like this. They clearly aren't editing/vetting their material very well at all!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com