Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

MahaH899
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

LG Book Question

by MahaH899 Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi! I am looking at the following question from the Drill it! section of the LG prep book (page 46, under subtitle Basic Ordering Inferences and the Big Pause):

Six high school marching bands, Kearny, Linden, Manchester, Neward, Orange and Patterson, will parade in front of a grandstand consecutively, one at a tme. No other bands will be in the parade. The following conditions will apply:

1. Kearny will parade either first or fifth.
2. Neward will parade third.
3. Manchester will parade immediately after Kearny.
4. Patterson will parade two spots after Linden.

I chose to chart it as a frame, but I ended up with only 2 options, where am I going wrong?

Rule 1 and 3 mean either first and second spot go to K and M, respectively, or fifth and sixth go to K and M. I framed based on that:

K M N L_P bc N is third and there must be a space between L and P. that means, KMNLOP is that frame.

then:

_ _ N_KM, where K and M are fifth and sixth. L can't go first because P would have to go third (where N goes), and certainly cannot go fourth because there wouldn't be space for P, so, again, the option would be _LNPKM and, finally OLNPKM bc O is left over.

That means two options: KMNLOP and OLNPKM, but I've never seen a logic game that does that. Kind of defeats the purpose. Also, the answer says it should be set up like:

K/ __ N L/P K/ __
~L ~P -- --- ~P ~L
~P -- --- --- ~L
~M -- --- --- ~M

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 93
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: LG Book Question

by Laura Damone Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi there!

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Those are the two frames I came up with as well. Nice work!

I think the reason the book doesn't show this as a framing situation is that framing hasn't come up in the book yet at that point! If you're tackling this as part of your course work, you would have seen framing in class. Same if you are doing the Interact program. But for folks who are using the books for self-study, that wouldn't be a technique they've learned yet.

I'll definitely make a note of this for future editions, though. I see why you were confused there! Also, consider these drills as a means of testing skills, not as an attempt to replicate LSAT games exactly. Sometimes logic games do frame out that nicely, so that's a skill we want to help you build. And even when they don't frame out quite as nicely, the framing foundations you have built from spotting easier, cleaner frames will serve you well, which is why we include them in the book.

Hope this helps!
Laura
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep