BruceJ295
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Is There A Bell Curve For Just Logic Games?

by BruceJ295 Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:00 am

There are any number of bell curves for the entire LSAT. For instance, a score of 170 puts you in approximately the 98th percentile. A typical exam will give you a 170 if you answer about 88 of the 101 questions correctly. Do such curves and numbers exist just for the logic games? As an example, if the logic games has 24 questions and I get 19 correct would I expect to be in the 90th, 80th, 70th or 60th percentile for just the logic games section?

Thanks in advance and a happy new year to all.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Is There A Bell Curve For Just Logic Games?

by ohthatpatrick Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:49 pm

There are no curves for specific sections. If you want to extrapolate from a given section how you're doing on the whole test, just convert your fraction of Correct Answers / Total Answers into a percentage.

Let's say you get 19 of 23 questions right on Games.

19/23 = .82

So this would be like getting 82 of the 100 questions correct. If that's a 166 on your test, and a 166 is a 92nd percentile score on the test, you could estimate that you are 92nd percentile in Games.

It's just an estimate, of course, because it's possible that people find it easier to get 82% correct in Games than they do in the other two sections.

BruceJ295
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Is There A Bell Curve For Just Logic Games?

by BruceJ295 Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:21 pm

I think that you hit on the point that I was indirectly trying to get at. Your analysis assumes that the questions that are incorrectly answered are evenly distributed across the four sections. I'm trying to figure out if this is indeed the case as opposed to the situation where a larger percentage of the incorrect answers, in general, tend to come from the logic games. The few students that my wife and I are working with seem to have more trouble with the games as opposed to RC and LR.