KathrynR994
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Interact - Open Grouping

by KathrynR994 Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:11 am

I'm on my second run through the Interact Open Grouping "Student Play Reviews" game and I can not figure out why the rule that only two students review the same plays isn't satisfied by K and O reviewing T. In the video, the explanation is contradictory. Noah says that the rule isn't satisfied because we don't know if T will review any other plays. However, we do know that M will review at least two plays so it can't review the exact same plays as L, since L can only review one.

Help please.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Interact - Open Grouping

by ohthatpatrick Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 am

Sorry for the massive delay here. This came in right before the holidays, when we were pretty much absentee.

The rule is saying that two of the columns must match entirely, not just contain SOME matching option.

We know that K and O both review T.

But let's say that K only reviews T, while O review T and S.

K: T
O: T, S

Would it be true here that "two of the students review exactly the same play or plays as each other"?

No, it would be wrong to say that K and O review exactly the same plays.
K only reviews one, and O reviews two.

We could say that K and O review exactly one play in common. But that's different from saying that they review exactly the same play or plays as each other.

So the quote you're asking about from Noah is saying, "Even though K and O have one matching element, that's no guarantee that they will end up being a complete match, because it's possible that O ends up reviewing two or three plays."

Does that make sense?

KathrynR994
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Interact - Open Grouping

by KathrynR994 Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying.