Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

JulietH63
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

I am going about this in the right way?

by JulietH63 Fri May 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Hello!

I have been studying for the test for 3 weeks now and just finished the first Preptest assigned in Interact, however I received a 137. What are my next steps in trying to achieve a high LSAT Score( my dream is a 165, but I will be happy with a 160!)? Do I just keep following the curriculum what extra things should I be doing in addition to that?

I am taking the test in July and again in August and maybe in October. Any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

smiller
Thanks Received: 73
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: I am going about this in the right way?

by smiller Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:10 pm

The simple answer is that you still have a lot to learn from the Interact course. Three weeks is a fairly short amount of time to spend preparing for the LSAT. It's pretty realistic to look at where you are now as just getting started.

If you're completing the first practice test assigned in Interact, that's either the initial diagnostic test assigned before Session 1 or the test assigned in Session 3. Either way, you're still in the very early stages of the Interact course. You'll be learning a lot more and getting much more practice as you continue.

A 137 just indicates where you are right now. It doesn't dictate what score you're eventually earn. If your goal is a 160 or 165, keep working toward that goal!

However, your current score does indicate the amount of work that you have to do. You're looking for an increase of more than 20 points. People who see that kind of increase often spend three or four months preparing for the test, at a minimum, while making LSAT prep one of their top priorities. It's not unusual for someone who wants that kind of increase to spend six months or more preparing for the test.

I'm not writing any of this to discourage you, but rather to provide a realistic picture of the amount of time that you might need. One of the biggest obstacles to success that we see is when people underestimate the amount of time that they'll need to prepare and then start feeling stressed when their scores aren't progressing as quickly as they want. The stress itself becomes an obstacle.

So again, the simple answer is to keep working through your Interact course. But it's also important to have a realistic big-picture plan. In terms of other things that you can be doing, working with an instructor can help you reach your goal more quickly. Taking a course or working with a tutor is more expensive than self-study, but that's the trade off. If you're interested in this, talk to our Student Services team.

Make sure to take a good look though your Manhattan Prep Interact Atlas site and know what resources are there, especially if there are any resources that you haven't been using. And finally, don't hesitate to redo an Interact lesson or reread a chapter in a Strategy Guide. Many people find that they understand concepts much better when they complete lessons a second time. This takes extra time, but spending extra time in the beginning can save time later on.