So, how did it go?

AbbyG
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Huge drop between PT average and actual score

by AbbyG Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:10 am

Hi all,

Has anyone ever successfully been able to overcome severe underperformance on official test day? And if so, do you have any tips?

Going into the June test, I had a PT average of about 173, and was scoring 169-175 on practice tests. When I had my first-ever anxiety attack during the first section and got a 167, I decided to try again in September. The second time around, I was much more meticulous about my PT conditions during my prep. I gave myself only 33 minutes per section in my PT's, took them in various different environments, and made sure I didn't know what the experimental section would be before I started each exam. In about 20 tests before the September exam, I brought my average up to a 175/176, this time with a low score of 172 and a high score of 178. I also practiced meditating to help with the nerves, and was much more relaxed taking the LSAT the second time, but to no avail. I actually ended up getting my worst score ever - 164 - on the second official test.

Now I want to take the exam again in December because I keep choking, but I am far less confident in my ability to pull-through on game day. As I am also a student, I have less time to study this go-round, so I'm considering withdrawing and taking a gap year, but it would really be ideal if I could start law school next fall. Please let me know if you have any advice! Thanks in advance (:

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Huge drop between PT average and actual score

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 pm

I don't have the same experience you have, so I'm not sure what I have to say will speak to you. I'm one of the guys who designs our LSAT curriculum, but my first practice test score was 143. Studying full time (40 hours/week) I was able to get to a 99th percentile score in 12 weeks. Bear in mind, this was 14 years ago. Today, I'm studying for the GMAT. I've now been studying for the GMAT for 7 months and I sat for the GMAT this past Saturday and scored 96th percentile (I need 99th percentile to add GMAT to the tests I teach). And so, I'll try again in 30 days.

You clearly know this test if you're scoring 170+ on your practice tests. So, you won't need nearly as much study time as you put in to get to where you're at. A gap year is never a bad idea, but don't walk away from something you've already mastered until you get the fruit of all your hard work.

Good luck!

JohnH540
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Huge drop between PT average and actual score

by JohnH540 Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 am

When you get nervous & stressed during a test, you are physically tensing up your body and unable to control it. Mindfulness practices, such as meditation, are a great way to release tension & performance anxiety.

“Mindful Test Taking” combines mindfulness with visualization to clear out stress-based patterns that inhibit circulation & blood flow. We teach our students how to progressively relax, so they can show up on test day feeling calm & focused.

http://www.MindfulTestTaking.com offers individual mindfulness coaching & group classes over videoconference & in-person to students who feel nervous about taking tests.