Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

rvf208
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

How to Study when Re-taking the LSAT

by rvf208 Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 pm

I Took the Manhattan LSAT course that ended this past December and I took the February LSAT. Having taken the exam and not feeling good about the logic game section I cancelled my score. I have not studied since and have just started to study again and will only be studying for the next 6 weeks for the June exam . I have taken virtually all the recent practice test aside for 2 and I was wondering if it is better to take older exams (in the 30s and 20s) or to retake exams I have already taken or maybe both. I also wanted to know if it makes sense to go over the course syllabus and go through the LR, LG, and RC books again as well as doing practice tests. As I took the class (although months ago)I am not really sure how to study or what to focus on. Any advice or feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: How to Study when Re-taking the LSAT

by tommywallach Fri May 01, 2015 11:49 am

Hey RVF,

There's no right or wrong answer here (though, just so you know, we generally recommend NOBODY cancel their score; True story--I've only taken the LSAT once, so I could teach it, and the proctor called 5 minutes when I was on the SECOND question of the THIRD Logic Game...and I got a 172! In my defense, I'd only had 3 weeks to study.). You have 6 weeks, and I can only assume a fair amount of time to study during that 6 weeks (or you wouldn't be positing such a serious study regime). So some basic notes:

1) I'd always retake more recent tests over taking older ones for the first time. Maybe you can't trust your score, because some of the questions are recognizable, but who cares? It's a GOOD thing to know some questions well.

2) Definitely focus on your weak points. If you don't feel good about logic games, make sure you spend a lot of time there. Read our book on LG again for sure.

3) Feel free to read the other books as well, it's simply a question of how much time you have over the next six weeks. Make sure you prioritize focused work over just grinding out practice tests...at least until you feel you've really MASTERED your weak points.

4) Don't cancel your score again. : )

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

rvf208
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rvf208 Fri May 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks so much Tommy! This was extremely helpful!!!

normanstokes123
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by normanstokes123 Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:28 am

When [url]studying for the LSAT[/url], ideally you want to go in with a study plan, diligently follow it, and then rock the test. But as Miley Cyrus’s hair stylist can attest, things don’t always go as planned.Sometimes people find themselves in the position of having to retake the LSAT. So what do you do if you’re in this boat?

Well, something needs to change. How much to change depends on what exactly didn’t work last time. In other words, you’ll need to take a long look at how you prepared the first time and figure out what part or parts you need to do differently.