Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

cody4lynn
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

How Should I Proceed with Studying

by cody4lynn Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:34 pm

I began studying for the LSAT last November and my diagnostic score was around 154, my highest practice test was a 164. I reached that score a month and a half ago and haven't been seen any improvements since. Granted I don't take practice tests often because I'm saving them for the months immediately prior to the test. I'll take the LSAT in September and ideally I would like my scores to be closer to 170. My goal is 165, however I want to be prepared for a bad test day. I would like to do well enough that my goal score is what I get when I'm not at my best. Does anyone have any advice? Could the online class be worthwhile? I have only used the study guides on my own so far, so was curious if the class will offer anything new. There's still room for me to improve on Logic Games which could raise my score a few points.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3804
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: How Should I Proceed with Studying

by ohthatpatrick Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I'll offer you some thoughts from a teacher's perspective.

One year of studying is a LOT! I admire your commitment, but you also run a risk of burning out.

Try to mix up the way you study as much as possible. Try different activities with specific goals (f.e. "for 25mins, I will search for Str/Weak questions that deal with causality).

Study with other people and alone. At home and out in the world. In silence and with background music.

Keep a REDO Calendar.

When a Game takes unacceptably long or feels unacceptably difficult, schedule it into your life at lest two more times.

Normally, your 1st redo is 5-10 days later, 2nd redo could be 30 days after that (with your long study schedule).

When an LR question or RC passage is confusing, schedule at least one more redo. I would wait about two weeks before re-trying those.

The general theme is that you're trying to wait until the memory of how to think about / do a problem has started to evaporate from memory. So the better you understood something to begin with, the longer you'll tend to remember it, and thus the longer you'd wait to do a redo.

The less you understood something, the harder it is for you to retain the explanation once you see it, and thus you can redo it sooner.

I do think working with someone else (either a fellow studyier) or a tutor or a class would probably benefit you because you will get exposed to some ideas and you will interact with the material in a very different way (assuming you actively participate in class).

If you're concerned about plateauing, then you might want to try shaking things up sooner, rather than later, so that you have plenty of time to endure the "it gets worse before it gets better" learning curve of trying new things.

Finally, going from 154 to 174 (so that you get a 170 on a bad day) is a Herculean amount of improvement. I don't want to discourage your efforts, but I want to remind you you're aspiring to accomplish something few people can, so don't be surprised if it ends up being very, very challenging.

The most limiting factor at the upper end of the scoring band is simply people's ability to read complex sentences and distill them into simple to understand conversational thoughts, while accurately preserving their nuance.

You would probably be the best judge at this point whether the gnarliest arguments or passages in LR and RC seem realistic / unrealistic in terms of your capacity your understand them.

Good luck!

cody4lynn
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by cody4lynn Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, a year of studying has already been difficult, but I take some weeks off. Plus I really like studying and miss school alot so I also find it somewhat energizing.

Those are some good ideas for studying. I have a couple ideas myself for LG and RC.

I'll definitely find a class. Probably online, since I'd have an easier time registering for one. I'll try to find a study partner, that would be really helpful.

My goal score is actually 165, I'd like my pts to be 170 for a safety net because 165 would give me a good chance at the schools I'm looking at.

I think raising my score in RC and LR would be doable, hopefully. When I reviewed my latest test most of the correct answers on the questions I missed seemed obvious. I'm hoping I can begin bringing that into the tests

Thanks again!

RosemaryK917
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by RosemaryK917 Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Try to write a detailed plan for each day. This will help you time management.

RuthB677
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 2 times.

by RuthB677 Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 am

I believe that you need individual lessons with a teacher. It was very difficult for me to go to college in the first year of study. But then I was advised by a professional writer who can write my literature review at the Paperell service. This is a great opportunity to save time and take your favorite hobby. I started playing football in college and now it's my job. I am now coaching a university team.

Sima S949
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Sima S949 Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:02 am

There is no one-size-fits-all approach when learning how to effectively study. Studying methods should be tailored to each student. Everyone has different abilities, so it is important to determine what works for you and what doesn’t.

Learning how to study better helps avoid panic and frustration the next time a big test is coming up. After all, you are more likely to do well and be less stressed before a test when you have had time to properly review and practice the material!

Few Secrets to Studying Effectively That Will Help You:

-Get Organized
    -Pay Attention in Class
    -Make Sure Notes Are Complete
    -Ask Questions If You Don’t Understand
    -Make a Study Schedule/plan
    -Designate a Study Area
    -Study in Short Bursts
    -Simplify Study Notes

STUDY SMART, NOT HARD
Knowing how to study effectively is a skill that will benefit you for life. Developing effective study skills requires lots of time and patience. If you follow these tips you’ll be on your way to discovering which type of studying works best for you—so you can knock your next test out of the park!

RachelleW795
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by RachelleW795 Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Sima S949 Wrote:There is no one-size-fits-all approach when learning how to effectively study. Studying methods should be tailored to each student. Everyone has different abilities, so it is important to determine what works for you and what doesn’t.

Learning how to study better helps avoid panic and frustration the next time a big test is coming up. After all, you are more likely to do well and be less stressed before a test when you have had time to properly review and practice the material!

Few Secrets to Studying Effectively That Will Help You:

-Get Organized
    -Pay Attention in Class
    -Make Sure Notes Are Complete
    -Ask Questions If You Don’t Understand
    -Make a Study Schedule/plan
    -Designate a Study Area
    -Study in Short Bursts
    -Simplify Study Notes

STUDY SMART, NOT HARD
Knowing how to study effectively is a skill that will benefit you for life. Developing effective study skills requires lots of time and patience. If you follow these tips you’ll be on your way to discovering which type of studying works best for you—so you can knock your next test out of the park!

I agree. Study Smart, Not Hard. You can take this approach for almost any exam. Make sure to sort out all your resources and materials, organize a good study schedule, and take a systematic approach to your study sessions. Make sure to absorb the information and not just read through them. Studying for the LSAT and other admission test can take an extreme amount of time and effort which would strain your mind and stress you out. Make sure to take a breather every once in a while and take care of your well-being. Your performance can only be as optimal when your body and mind are well taken care of.