Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

thegreggdevine
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

How many PTs to take?

by thegreggdevine Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 pm

How many PTs should we aim to take before test day?

Also, should we worry about older tests? At what point are the old tests not worth doing due to time constraints. For example, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to do every PT from 1-81, but at the same time, it seems like it might be better to focus on the newer tests. Perhaps only 52-61 and 62-71 and soon 72-81. Would these 30 tests be sufficient to properly prep? Or should I also do older tests too?

Are there some I should drill as timed section and some I should save as timed tests?

Lastly, should I really do every logic game out there? I know another prep test company claims that is something they recommend. But so many of the games seem so similar that after a while aren't there diminishing returns?

I guess my question could be summed up as this: In 10 years when we are on PT 150 at what point are the old tests going to be not worth worry about?

Thanks!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: How many PTs to take?

by ohthatpatrick Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:20 pm

The summary question at the end is NOT a good question. Are you planning to study LSAT for the next 10 years? :)

Data suggests that the "practice test sweet spot" is between 6-14 tests.

That doesn't mean you wouldn't do a crap ton of other LSAT questions / 35 minute sections.

But it means that you should only plan to sit down for 4 hrs at a time around 10 times. Generally speaking, once every three weeks is good when you're starting out.

More than 6 weeks away: take a test every 3 weeks
6-3 weeks away: take a test every week
Last 3 weeks: take 2 tests per week (if your schedule allows, otherwise one per week is fine)

Older tests have plenty of value. Anything from 60-81 is a pretty good facsimile of a "modern test". Anything from 40-60 is still 90% similar in vibe. Your score on an older test is going to only be a couple points different from how you'd score on a modern test.

Older tests are great for the early learning process because our goal is to master things on a simpler level before we add nuance and misdirection. Older tests are not EASY by any means, but some of the classic flaws and classic moves are less disguised. Games sections don't have the annoying 1 or 2 Rule Equivalency questions. And RC correct answers are better supported by text across the board.

For the ten or so full length practice tests you take, consider doing something like 62, 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80

Then you can use modern odd-numbered tests for individual 35 min sections here and there.

You don't need to do every logic game out there if you reach a point of acing Games sections in 35 minutes, but until then, yeah go ahead and try as many games as you can process.

The key caveat: you should be in the habit of doing the same game a 2nd and 3rd time.

If it's a really hard game for you, the 2nd time could be 3-5 days later.
If it's easier, the 2nd time should probably be a week later.

The 3rd time would usually be 10-20 days after the 2nd time (if you still have study days left on the calendar).

In that sense, it becomes harder to get through all 80 games sections, since doing them 2 or 3 times each means that instead of talking about 320 games, you're talking about 600-900 games.

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by andrewgong01 Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:56 pm

How much use would you say is there of taking PrepTests we have done before? I took the real LSAT in June 2017 and retaking it in September (hopefully for the last time) but in the run up to June 2017 the only PrepTests I have not done are : Prep65,69 (did the LG of it though), 73,74,77,79 (did the infamous virus game though the weekend before the test). I did Prep75 before my course started in November 2016 and never really reviewed it thoroughly so I think 75 would still be pretty unspoilt. This means in terms of pure unspoiled test it really is only 4 PrepTests left excluding 69, 79, and 75.

Do you think I should still take used PrepTests timed as a full test or would it be better to just re-do individual sections? I worry that I may not have that many fresh LSAT questions to last for another 2 months for full Prep tests.

My current plan is to re-do games from like Pre PrepTests 30s/40s + any strategy guide/Interact related problems and re-do all the homework problems assigned in the courses from the Prep51-60 green LSAT Prep book so there will be some repetition already in older problems

thegreggdevine
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by thegreggdevine Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm

ohthatpatrick Wrote:The summary question at the end is NOT a good question. Are you planning to study LSAT for the next 10 years? :)

Data suggests that the "practice test sweet spot" is between 6-14 tests.

That doesn't mean you wouldn't do a crap ton of other LSAT questions / 35 minute sections.

But it means that you should only plan to sit down for 4 hrs at a time around 10 times. Generally speaking, once every three weeks is good when you're starting out.

More than 6 weeks away: take a test every 3 weeks
6-3 weeks away: take a test every week
Last 3 weeks: take 2 tests per week (if your schedule allows, otherwise one per week is fine)

Older tests have plenty of value. Anything from 60-81 is a pretty good facsimile of a "modern test". Anything from 40-60 is still 90% similar in vibe. Your score on an older test is going to only be a couple points different from how you'd score on a modern test.

Older tests are great for the early learning process because our goal is to master things on a simpler level before we add nuance and misdirection. Older tests are not EASY by any means, but some of the classic flaws and classic moves are less disguised. Games sections don't have the annoying 1 or 2 Rule Equivalency questions. And RC correct answers are better supported by text across the board.

For the ten or so full length practice tests you take, consider doing something like 62, 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80

Then you can use modern odd-numbered tests for individual 35 min sections here and there.

You don't need to do every logic game out there if you reach a point of acing Games sections in 35 minutes, but until then, yeah go ahead and try as many games as you can process.

The key caveat: you should be in the habit of doing the same game a 2nd and 3rd time.

If it's a really hard game for you, the 2nd time could be 3-5 days later.
If it's easier, the 2nd time should probably be a week later.

The 3rd time would usually be 10-20 days after the 2nd time (if you still have study days left on the calendar).

In that sense, it becomes harder to get through all 80 games sections, since doing them 2 or 3 times each means that instead of talking about 320 games, you're talking about 600-900 games.

Thank you very, very much. Why do some prep test companies have you doing like 50 tests? That seems insane! Like you said, research suggests the sweet spot is between 6-14 full-length tests. So basically that is best for most and using say 40-60 for drilling section is best? Question? With respect to LG, should I bothering drilling older section as well, or will I be sufficiently prepared having mastered say tests 40-81? Or would it be better to do 1-35 like others suggest? Lastly, is there any sweet spot of timed sections to take, at least approximately speaking?

Anyway, thank you, Mr. Patrick. Again, this is why I love ManhattanLSAT! The guides are amazing, the instructors are top notch, and the answers are thoughtful and insightful.

I really can't thank you enough!

thegreggdevine
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by thegreggdevine Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 am

Do you know where I can find the data that the sweet spot is between 6-14 full length tests?

I am really interested in this.

Thank you ;D

thegreggdevine
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by thegreggdevine Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 am

Hello.... Just want to bump this. Where can I find the data that between 6-14 full prep tests is the sweet spot? Was there a study?