reniwq545
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

How do you practice Logic Games?

by reniwq545 Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 pm

My goal is at least a 160. My last PT was a 158 after consistently scoring 153-156. Greatly improved reading comp, but Games continues to be my weakest section. My thought process is that if I stay consistent on LR and RC while improving my Games, I can hit a 160 (obviously I will continue reviewing all sections). I am taking Sept.

For reference, I usually get 15-18 on LR, 17-22 on RC, and 13-15 on Games. I am working on LR and Games the most.

When I use a stop watch, I take my time and can finish a game after, usually, 12 minutes. With a timer, I put 10 minutes, and I will have 2 questions left. I have never finished a fresh logic game, even the simple ones, in under 11 minutes. On the June exam, it took me 14 minutes to finish 1 game. Timing on Games is my weakness, and has proven to be the killer when I get close to 160, aside from an occasional bombing of an LR section (Got lucky and suffered both on June)

Should I use a stop watch or a timer (does it even matter)? Do I just keep hitting games over and over? Should I spend my individual study sessions reviewing a specific game type or doing a whole section and reviewing across the spectrum?

Thanks

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 93
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: How do you practice Logic Games?

by Laura Damone Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi there!

That first game on PT 88 is a real doozy, so don't beat yourself up about the 14-minute time-frame.

But to start getting your timing down consistently, you need to think not about speed, but about efficiency.

In my experience, students who need to speed up on logic games are working inefficiently. Here's a list of common inefficiencies. See if any of this sounds like you!

1. Speed through the setup, go right to the questions, didn't make many inferences and have to do a lot of testing answers.

The fix? More time spent on setup. We recommend a "big pause" between the diagramming of the rules and the answering of questions, during which you connect rules that have something in common (like they're about the same letter, slot, or group), figure out which elements are excluded from which slots (as in, P comes before Q so P can't be in the last slot and Q can't be in the first slot), ID any elements with no rules, determine the elements or rules that will drive the game as you play it, and spot any opportunities to divide the game along 2 or three paths that give you nice robust setups (we call this "framing").

2. Spend so much time on the setup that there isn't enough time to answer all the questions.

The fix? Don't stare at the page. Don't try out a bunch of "test cases." Make a checklist of things that tend to produce inferences, go through the check list, take the Big Pause, and move on!

3. Each question takes longer than it should.

The fix? Practice testing answers more efficiently. You can make a hypothetical to test an answer in 10 seconds or less. Know how to test for each type of question (as in, for a Must Be True question, you want to try to make a test case in which the answer is false, not true). Also know how to use prior work to help you on later questions.

As far as what types to practice and when, I say try these interventions with all game types. Game 1 is typically an easier game, so you can try a bunch of Game 1's and try to get your timing down.

Replaying games is also a great way to work on timing because it can show you how fast you need to move to get a game done in 8-9 mins. Even if it isn't fresh material, just doing games at that pace is helpful because you learn what that pacing feels like. Then you can try to execute some game 1's at that pace, then some later games.

Hope this helps!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep

testingt857
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by testingt857 Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:27 am

Thanks so much for this advice!.

CarrieB231
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by CarrieB231 Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:13 am

The games are quite fun, it's like an online game I used to play when I was a kid, I feel like I'm back in my childhood again, it's at https://izigames.net/ , today is January 4th. year 2023 Happy new year everyone.

JoseP634
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by JoseP634 Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:47 am

Practicing Logic Games is a fantastic way to exercise your mind and enhance your problem-solving skills. Whether you're a fan of logical reasoning in games or other forms of entertainment, you might want to check out the most awaited video game releases for Fall 2023. The article at gamengadgets.com offers a sneak peek into the exciting titles that are set to challenge and engage gamers in the coming season. These games can be a fun and enjoyable way to sharpen your cognitive abilities while having a great time. So, while you're working on Logic Games, don't forget to get your controllers ready for the upcoming video game adventures as well!

gastarsn675
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by gastarsn675 Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Dive into the heart-pounding world of competitive poker with the WPT Prime Championship, where skill, strategy, and a touch of luck converge to create an unforgettable gaming experience. This premier event gathers top-tier players from across the globe, each vying for the coveted title of poker champion. As the cards are dealt and the intensity rises, participants are immersed in an atmosphere that transcends the ordinary, where every hand is a potential game-changer. Beyond the thrill of the game, the WPT Prime Championship fosters a sense of community among poker aficionados, creating lasting memories and connections. Don't miss your chance to be part of this exhilarating journey—join the wpt live event for a poker experience like no other.