ArthurW338
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

ERRATA? 5th Edition LSAT LG pg 163/164

by ArthurW338 Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:11 pm

Dear Sirs/ Madams,
I am looking at Drill 1 & 2 on pg 163 & its accompanying solution on pg 164. (these are not in the errata)

R1: S arrives at some point before W.
R2: V arrives at some point after T.
R3: R arrives at some point before Q.
R4.1: T arrives before both R & S
OR ELSE
R4.2: T arrives before neither of them.

I am concerned about the rule R4.2 which says T arrives before neither of them. The solution then draws T as arriving AFTER both of them.

Then onto the next question in the drills.
R1: Both L & J are examined after G.
R2.1: L is examined after F
OR
R2.2: L is examined after M (but not both)
R3: K is examined after F

Again rule R2 is bothersome because it portrays L as arriving after F AND BEFORE M in the first diagram.Then portrays L arriving after M & before F in the second diagram. The wording of the rules do not lead the reader to conclude that L is examined after F & before M OR L is examined after M & before F.

I noticed some other errors in the book but did not bother to report them earlier. I have downloaded the Errata and it does not mention the above. Any help would be appreciated.

Annie Levin
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: ERRATA? 5th Edition LSAT LG pg 163/164

by Annie Levin Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi there, neither of the things you mention are errors--let me see if I can further explain the rules in question:

In example 1, the rule is "Either T arrives before both R and S, or T arrives before neither of them". If we translate this, it gives us two possible realities for this game: either T arrives BEFORE both R and S, or T arrives AFTER both R and S. (T arriving before neither[i][/i] of them is the same thing as arriving after both of them). Because T arriving before R and S and T arriving after R and S are mutually exclusive realities--only one of those can be true at a time--this is a game we need to frame. The book draws two different trees: in one tree, T comes before R and S; in the other tree, T comes after R and S.

Example 2 creates a similar situation: In "L is examined after F or after M, but not both," the but not both[i][/i] means that we cannot have L coming both after F and after M at the same time; the only two possibilities this leaves open is either F-L-M or M-L-F. The book then draws two trees, one based on each of those orders.

Hope that clears things up!