ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Diagram

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 pm

I've posted the setup and the explanation to one of the harder questions to see. If you have any questions on this one, please feel free to post them.

(diagram reattached)
Attachments
PT57, S1, G1, Q4 - Student Performs Six Activities - ManhattanLSAT.pdf
(38.54 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times

onyinyeoma
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: PT57, S1, G1 setup + Q4 explanation

by onyinyeoma Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Could someone post up the diagram for this game with all the corresponding letters crossed off under each position? Thanks!

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by cyruswhittaker Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:37 am

When I did this game in the PT, it took me a lot longer than normal with this type. Usually I breeze through linear games, completing them under 8 minutes, but not this one. I particularly got stuck on 2, 3, 4. Would you mind explaining anything to keep in mind regarding inferences due to blocks, so that I can more quickly get through these types of questions in the future?

After reviewing the game, it seems like questions 2-4 basically rely on the same principle. Because there are no randoms, and because we have two blocks with seperate variables, each with a positioning element, any element positioning that doesn't allow for the blocks is impossible.

The question is how do we move through these questions faster w/o having to go through hypotheticals?

Thanks!

mitchliao
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Re: Diagram

by mitchliao Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Questions 2,3, and 4 might be easier if you think of this linear game as ordering "blocks."

So you have a K individual block, HG block, JM block (this block is different from the HG block in that it can be rotated to become a MJ block), and a L block.

First we have to recognize that the total number of spaces is 6, with one variable placed in each space.

So when they ask you which of the following activities CANNOT be third, you have to recognize that the correct answer choice is going to be a variable that can't have 2 variables that come before it, or can't have 3 variables that go behind it.

If you look at answer choice (B) for question #2, H has to have 1 variable in front of it, which is the K block, and then it needs to have only 1 more variable in front of it. The only block that can by put in front of it though would be the JM block. But the problem here is JM takes up two spaces. Thus (B) can never occur.

You can use this same method for determining which variables cannot be in the 4th spot and 5th spot. For a variable that CANNOT be in the 4th spot, it can't have 3 variables in front of it or 2 variables behind it. Far a variable that CANNOT be in the 5th spot, it can't have 4 variables in front of it, and 1 variable behind it.

If you get the hang of this, it might be faster cause you know what you're looking for.

yoohoo081
Thanks Received: 9
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by yoohoo081 Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Little different view (don't know if it'll be more efficient for everyone, but the way I approached it, I go through questions in a jiffy :) )

Remembering all the constraints:I drew all the conditions
()= cloud, switch places

K H G (M/J) L
K (M/J) H G L
(M/J) K H G L
(M/J) (K / L) H G
1 2 3 4 5

Personally, drawing these didn't take very long since HG is limited to 2/3, 3/4, 4/5 (shown in color).
I started there the rest followed.

Again, don't know if it's going to work for everyone, but it worked for me, so I though I'd share :)

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:23 pm

yoohoo081, aren't there 6 activities to order? I see it being possible that the HG chunk goes in 2/3, 3/4 (looks okay initially but wouldn't allow for the placement of the other chunk), 4/5, and 5/6.

When I run those out into frames I get something very similar to what you have, but not exactly.

_ _ _ _ H G
K(J,M)H G L
(J,M)K H G L
K H G (J,M) L
1 2 3 4 5 6

yoohoo081 Wrote:(M/J) (K / L) H G

On this frame, how did you determine that K and L would have to be ordered consecutively? Couldn't it also go K, J, M, L, H, G? or several other versions very similar to it?

But I like the idea to frame. I draw the line personally on frames when the chunk can go in more than 3 places. But this one would be a good candidate for frames, nice work yoohoo081!

panman36
Thanks Received: 5
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by panman36 Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 pm

mshermn Wrote:I've posted the setup and the explanation to one of the harder questions to see. If you have any questions on this one, please feel free to post them.

Not seeing it. Could you repost? Thanks

msdujon
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by msdujon Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Can someone repost the setup? thanks

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Last edited by timmydoeslsat on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indyyork
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by indyyork Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Question 5 fairly new on the LG section, I having some difficulty understanding it.

The original constrain shows MJ----L
or
JM----L

Question 5 its saying that if this rule is substituted M----L, I am understanding that L goes before M and if J is next to M that leaves L before J?

I might be wrong understanding this, can someone help me with this question type.

Thanks.

timmydoeslsat
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 pm

indyyork Wrote:Question 5 fairly new on the LG section, I having some difficulty understanding it.

The original constrain shows MJ----L
or
JM----L

Question 5 its saying that if this rule is substituted M----L, I am understanding that L goes before M and if J is next to M that leaves L before J?

I might be wrong understanding this, can someone help me with this question type.

Thanks.

The original rule is that M - L, which means M is somewhere before L.

We are wanting to substitute a rule to replace that one as to where it will have the same effects as the original.

When we had our original rule, we also knew that M and J had to immediately before or after one another MJ or JM

In either instance, L is coming after both of them.

Answer choice C gives us this rule: J - L

Would that give us the same effect as M - L?

Yes it would! Answer choice C's rule of J - L would force M coming before L and it does not do anything other than that. The M is still free to go MJ or JM.

I want to help you more with this new type of question of rule substitution. We want a rule that will have the same effect as the original rule.

Suppose this was an answer choice: G and J has to be earlier than L.

This would indeed give us M - L like we want, however, it would also do something that the original rule did not do...which is to place the G before the L.

The original rule did not necessitate G going before L. Thus, this is not a valid substitution of the original rule because it would not have the same effect. You would not be able to have G come after L in this rule whereas you could have done so with the original.

indyyork
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by indyyork Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for replying this soon! Your explanation help me to understand some what this problem. I think I understood more from the second example you did,

"Suppose this was an answer choice: G and J has to be earlier than L.

This would indeed give us M - L like we want, however, it would also do something that the original rule did not do...which is to place the G before the L.

The original rule did not necessitate G going before L. Thus, this is not a valid substitution of the original rule because it would not have the same effect. You would not be able to have G come after L in this rule whereas you could have done so with the original."

I am still a little fuzzy about the substitution of the rule "When we had our original rule, we also knew that M and J had to immediately before or after one another MJ or JM

In either instance, L is coming after both of them.

Answer choice C gives us this rule: J - L

Would that give us the same effect as M - L?

Yes it would! Answer choice C's rule of J - L would force M coming before L and it does not do anything other than that. The M is still free to go MJ or JM."

I guess my question is what exactly happens to M and L if this is what I am having hard time to see?

The only link that L has is M and since the question is asking to be substituted, that means L is free and it can be any where. Now M still have the link with J and everything else still the same.

Forgive me for not seeing clearly your explanation, but can you elaborate little bit more about this. Perhaps I am not understanding what this question is asking or maybe my brain is a bit burned out from working out too many problems. Or a combination of all above!

Thank you

timmydoeslsat
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 am

indyyork Wrote:Thanks for replying this soon! Your explanation help me to understand some what this problem. I think I understood more from the second example you did,

I guess my question is what exactly happens to M and L if this is what I am having hard time to see?

The only link that L has is M and since the question is asking to be substituted, that means L is free and it can be any where. Now M still have the link with J and everything else still the same.

Oh no problem! You will eventually see this.

You have made a nice interpretation of the rule. It is true that with the original rule of M - L...the only thing we know about L is that it will come sometime after M.

What is interesting with this rule during our game is that we have another rule governing M's use. It must be immediately next to J, either MJ/JM. In either case, it will be before L.

So the L is free to roam wherever it chooses as long as it is after both of those variables.

And with the original rule of M - L, notice that no other variables were involved with it. Nothing about G or H, etc. With this original rule, those other variables can go before or after the L.

If we were to hunt for a new rule to replace the [M - L] rule, we must keep in mind that it needs to have the same effect as the original [M-L] rule.

This means that a hypothetical answer choice of [G and M - L] would not be an adequate replacement of the original rule. This is due to the fact that our original rule of [M - L] allows G to come before or after the L, while the hypothetical answer choice rule has G coming before L and always coming before L. This is not going to work because the rules do not have the same effect.

The [J - L] rule works perfectly! No other variables are involved, such as G, and we know that the M is going to have to be before the L in this rule.

KatiaK713
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by KatiaK713 Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi,
The diagram's answer to Q4 says "since HG chuck can't be performed after L". I don't see why is that the case. Can't it be j-m-l-k-h-g?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Yes, you are correct.

I think it was just sloppy writing on the teacher's part. I'm pretty sure he was saying, "Were we to TRY putting L in spot 5, you couldn't fit the (MJ) chunk after, so both chunks would have to fit before, giving us 5 things to put in the first 4 spots."

Sorry about that.