aileenann
Thanks Received: 227
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Diagram

by aileenann Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Diagram and solution to problem 3 attached. Let me know if there are other questions on this game you'd like to talk about! I'm all ears.

PT 53, S2, G1 -Talent Agencies - Manhattan LSAT.pdf
(76.31 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times

sge4
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

Re: Diagram

by sge4 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I encountered something bizarre when I diagrammed this puzzle. Instead of FPS on the bottom, I put T W X Y Z on the bottom with slots above each, where I put an f, p, or s. This led me to split the puzzle into two frames. For some reason I can't get the f, p, and s's to stay put but in frame I we have the base of T W X Y Z with f, p, and p over X, Y, and Z, respectively. In frame II we have f, s, and s over X, Y, and Z, respectively.

In frame I if S goes in T, S goes in W. Fine. But the contrapositive isn't true -- If S is not in W then S is not in T! That means P/F must be in W and P/F must be in T. But that would leave no room for an S. So do we have to discount the contrapositive somehow?

The opposite happens in frame II. If S goes in T, S can't also go in W because then there are 4 S's and no P's. In this case, though, the contrapositive could apply (P/F in T and W).

This wasn't that big a deal on this puzzle but I've never seen a case where the contrapositive or the actual rule has to be OVERRULED by another rule. Am I missing something here, or else how do you know if a rule applies or not. Specifically, in frame, would S --> S rule still hold, but not the contrapositive. In frame II, would the contrapositive of S --> S still hold?

Thanks!

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm

sge4 Wrote:In frame I if S goes in T, S goes in W. Fine. But the contrapositive isn't true -- If S is not in W then S is not in T! That means P/F must be in W and P/F must be in T. But that would leave no room for an S. So do we have to discount the contrapositive somehow?

It's not that you "discount" the contrapositive, it's that you simply realize you can't apply it here. By the way, you could also have S assigned to W but F or P to T.

sge4 Wrote:The opposite happens in frame II. If S goes in T, S can't also go in W because then there are 4 S's and no P's. In this case, though, the contrapositive could apply (P/F in T and W).
Right, you know that S can't go in T in that frame.

sge4 Wrote:This wasn't that big a deal on this puzzle but I've never seen a case where the contrapositive or the actual rule has to be OVERRULED by another rule. Am I missing something here, or else how do you know if a rule applies or not. Specifically, in frame, would S --> S rule still hold, but not the contrapositive. In frame II, would the contrapositive of S --> S still hold?
Thanks!

There are plenty of examples where you can't apply a conditional statement. It's an interesting question, but I think you're over-thinking this. If I tell you that Q is either first or last, and I also tell you that if H is third, Z is last, then you know that if Q isn't first, H can't be third. You can't have the condition triggered.

I hope that helps!

I tried your frames, BTW, and I found it easiest to write an "S" in a cloud above T and W in frame 1 (I need at least one S), and in frame 2 I put a "P" in a cloud above T and W (and you could put not S underneath T as well).

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 pm

For unconditional questions like Q2 and Q4,
we have no way but test each answer choice and find which is MF...right? :|
It took a lot of time so I wonder whether I forget something...

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm

tz_strawberry Wrote:For unconditional questions like Q2 and Q4,
we have no way but test each answer choice and find which is MF...right? :|
It took a lot of time so I wonder whether I forget something...

You're right that there's no inference chain to follow in either, however both can be handled pretty quickly.

Take a look at my explanations for each:

2: q2-t6836.html

4: q4-t6837.html

PaulaJ949
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by PaulaJ949 Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 pm

AileenAnn, was there a specific reason you didn't actually put X in F on your diagram? Just want to make sure I'm nailing these setups!

Thanks!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 am

Yikes, no that was definitely just a mistaken omission. Honestly, that pdf is a bit of a travesty. I'm sorry. :)

For what it's worth, my setup would look something like this:

RULES:
X = Fame
~(XY)
(ZY)
Ts -> Ws

.. Fame ....... Premier ..... Star ...
.......X............__+.........___+

Since there's a chunk, (ZY), I would frame its options.
Since Y and X can't be together, ZY can only go into P or S.

.. Fame ... Premier ... Star ...
.......X............Z Y.........___+..........frame 1
.......X............__+.........Z Y...........frame 2

In frame 1, we can further infer that W will definitely be in Star.
If T is there, then W is there.
If T isn't there, then W is the only one left and someone needs to go there.

.. Fame ... Premier ... Star ...
.......X............Z Y.........W..........frame 1
.......X............__+.........Z Y...........frame 2