noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 5 times.

Diagram

by noah Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Tough game!

Notice how I wrote the rules as anti-chunks. Writing them out as conditionals would have been very messy, I felt, and would not have related to the way the elements go into the diagram.

And here's a full solution sheet:
Attachments
PT67,G4-Manhattan_ LSAT.pdf
(51.1 KiB) Downloaded 2472 times

samuelfbaron
Thanks Received: 6
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Diagram

by samuelfbaron Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey Noah,

As always thanks for your help!

Can you verify this rule: "a total of no no more than three sub zones can be designated for each use"

Does that mean we could have III in z1 and III in z2 ?

hallamstanton
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by hallamstanton Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I think it says that "a total of no more than three subzones can be designated for each of the three uses", which I believe translates as: there can be between one and three occurrences of housing, industrial and retail each.

In other words, you can have between H, I and R and HHH, III, RRR in the game.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 pm

samuelfbaron Wrote:Hey Noah,

As always thanks for your help!

Can you verify this rule: "a total of no no more than three sub zones can be designated for each use"

Does that mean we could have III in z1 and III in z2 ?

Hallamstanton is right.

You could have 3 I's in a zone.

I think a lot of people found the wording quite tricky here. One move that can help is to look at the rules and the Orientation questions. Rules 2 and 3 reference the possibility of multiples of a particular subzone in a zone. (Couldn't LSAC have used "zone type" and "area"!)

Similarly, the Orientation question has many examples of multiple subzones of the same type within 1 zone. Q19 does the same.

Those first two questions of a game can often help you puzzle together issues like this.

mcho91
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by mcho91 Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:19 pm

What is the second rule saying? "Within these zones, subzones can be designated for housing, industrial, or retail use, with NO SUBZONE DESIGNATED FOR MORE THAN ONE USE."

so the first part, I understand that you can have these slots for H, I, or R in the zones but the second part seems to be saying that you can only have one type of subzone in a zone..meaning 1H, 1I, or 1R is the max for any zone. But that doesn't make any sense because when you do the actual came you can have 2H's in one zone.

Please help clarify the second part of the second sentence rule!! Thank you

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Mon May 04, 2015 7:14 pm

I know, it's written in such a confusing way. It just means that each slot (which is confusing, I know, because you don't even know how many slots/sub-zones there are in each zone) doesn't have more than one letter in it. That's all. It's like if you had a relative ordering game that stated, "No two cars arrive at the same time" or something. Just don't put more than one letter in a slot.

HelenP723
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by HelenP723 Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:25 pm

maryadkins Wrote:I know, it's written in such a confusing way. It just means that each slot (which is confusing, I know, because you don't even know how many slots/sub-zones there are in each zone) doesn't have more than one letter in it. That's all. It's like if you had a relative ordering game that stated, "No two cars arrive at the same time" or something. Just don't put more than one letter in a slot.

It makes sense in that that tiny rule fits the overall set-up of the game and questions. But it seriously tripped me up. Can someone please (slowly) explain how “with no subzone designated for more than one use” means not more in one slot?

Each time I read it I can’t get passed why does it not mean you can’t use a subzone more than once. Even as Iknow what it means after being told, I can’t read it was intended. One angle can be how is it not already implied?

Oh yeah! Awesome forum!

rarnold
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rarnold Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:16 pm

It makes sense in that that tiny rule fits the overall set-up of the game and questions. But it seriously tripped me up. Can someone please (slowly) explain how “with no subzone designated for more than one use” means not more in one slot?

Each time I read it I can’t get passed why does it not mean you can’t use a subzone more than once. Even as Iknow what it means after being told, I can’t read it was intended. One angle can be how is it not already implied?

Oh yeah! Awesome forum!

A few years late, but in case anyone ever stumbles on this and has the same question--

The mix-up here is the difference between "with no subzone designated for more than one use" and "with no *kind of subzone* designated to more than one *subzone in a zone*."

...Not sure that makes it clearer. But basically, the rule says 'a subzone can only be one thing: H, I, or R.' It's easy to misinterpret that sentence to something like "each zone can only have one subzone of each kind H, I, and R."