ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: PT 49 S1 During an international film retrospective

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Here's a complete setup and solutions for this game.
Attachments
PT49, S1, G1- International Film Retrospective - ManhattanLSAT.pdf
(38.99 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times

mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Diagram

by mcrittell Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:30 pm

General question I didn't know where to post. The 2nd rule stipulates that if I is present, the next day must show N. Can I be shown on day 6? (meaning, there are no more days after it...which would mean N couldn't be shown)

mitrakhanom1
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by mitrakhanom1 Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:42 pm

After looking at the diagram, I wanted to know why I can't go first? I was under the impression it could go first if G is not in the diagram. Since we don't know whether or not if G is in the diagram, how can we be sure to say that I cannot be in first? thanks

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by christine.defenbaugh Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:05 am

mitrakhanom1 Wrote:After looking at the diagram, I wanted to know why I can't go first? I was under the impression it could go first if G is not in the diagram. Since we don't know whether or not if G is in the diagram, how can we be sure to say that I cannot be in first? thanks

Great question! If the G --> GI rule were the only rule in play, then you're absolutely correct that I would be allowed to go first.

But you're forgetting about the I --> IN rule! If I were first, then N would have to be second, and we were told explicitly in the rules that N is not allowed to be second. Since N can't be second, I can't be first!

Make sense?

mcrittell Wrote:General question I didn't know where to post. The 2nd rule stipulates that if I is present, the next day must show N. Can I be shown on day 6? (meaning, there are no more days after it...which would mean N couldn't be shown)

I realize this is a somewhat old post, but it's a great question, so I'd like to address it for others here as well. Rules of this type show up on a regular basis, so it is imperative to know how to deal with them immediately. Since I absolutely requires that N follow it, then I could not possibly go on day 6.

If the game intended to allow that possibility, the rule would be written differently - perhaps like this: The only film that may immediately follow a film in Italian is a film in Norwegian.

That hypothetical rule bars all the other films from following I, but it does not preclude the possibility that NOTHING might follow I. However, our original rule tells us that I cannot be shown without a followup film of N.

I hope this helps clear up how to interpret this kind of rule in future games!

shaun_davis5
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by shaun_davis5 Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 am

mattsherman Wrote:Here's a complete setup and solutions for this game.

According to rule 1: N can't go in slot 2 or 4, which affects rule 3 and 4, correct? Why will G not go into slot 5 or 6, and I not go in slot 6?

shaun_davis5
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by shaun_davis5 Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

mattsherman Wrote:Before I give everything away, I'd recommend that you take a look at the constraints one more time. I'm sure that you can see to set this one up as a numbered ordering game. We have six films - F, G, H, I, N, and T and each of them could go twice, but also, not all of them need to be assigned somewhere. We get to choose from 12 any six that satisfy the constraints and order them one through six.

I think the problem might have been in the constraints. The second one is a conditional constraint

if I --> IN

the third constraint is also conditional

if G --> GI

So if we have a G anywhere in our order then an I will follow it and an N will follow that

so if

G
- - - - - -
1 2 3 4 5 6

then

G I N
- - - - - -
1 2 3 4 5 6

But that does not mean

if

N
- - - - - -
1 2 3 4 5 6

then

G I N
- - - - - -
1 2 3 4 5 6

If you still have problems with this game, let me know and I'll walk you through a few questions with a more complete setup.

So why can't G go in spots 2,5, or 6?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Wherever you have G, you have to have an I after it. Wherever you have an I, you have to have an N after it. This means if you have G, you have G I N, three in a row, in that order. Because of the rule that N cannot be in 4, you cannot have G in 2. It also means you can't have G in any slot where there aren't at least 2 other slots following it, or there wouldn't be room for the I and the N!