zhangstagangsta
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

PT 38, S2, G4 - Musicians perform each of exactly five

by zhangstagangsta Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:59 am

Could someone post a set-up for game 4? I found it difficult to make deductions.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Diagram

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Here's a completed setup that you can use to work through the questions, and I've explained the process for most of the steps. If you have any questions, let me know!
Attachments
PT38, S2, G4 Musical Performances.pdf
(254.33 KiB) Downloaded 2349 times

djy_neworiental
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by djy_neworiental Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 am

Hi, I downloaded the set up but didnt see any solutions to the questions. "N is consecutive with either T or V and that O is consecutive with either S or V" is confusing to me. Can someone help me with this please? Thanks in advance.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 pm

djy_neworiental Wrote:Hi, I downloaded the set up but didnt see any solutions to the questions. "N is consecutive with either T or V and that O is consecutive with either S or V" is confusing to me. Can someone help me with this please? Thanks in advance.

Sure. That statement you quoted is just an inference regarding the context of the game. We know that each variable placed must have at least one neighbor that shares a piece with it. (Which we can deduce that Monday has to share a piece with Tuesday, same thing with Friday, it must share a piece with Thursday.)

So, if you had a variable placed 4th, you need either the 3rd or 5th variable placed to share a piece with it.

When you look at variable O to see what pieces it plays, we know it plays H and M. Who else plays H and M? S and V. So we know that O is going to have to be consecutive with at least one of those guys.

Same thing for variable N. It must be consecutive with at least one of T and V.

You could say similar things about any of the variables. It simply helps to view the game in that manner.

The framing aspect of this game will not be heavy on inferences, but it will show us the mini-split of slot 2 with N being there and T being there.

sukim764
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by sukim764 Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I took a "freestyle" approach to this game and hopefully this might help someone who wants to see the game solved in a different way since this is a hybrid game after all.

The major step that I took was to set up the five musical pieces in a category so I can tell which pieces can go with which. This is what it looks like:
N ~> T or V
O ~> S or V
S ~> T or O
T ~> N or S
V ~> N or O

At first it looks like extra work and perhaps even confusing adding this on top of the original stimulus, but bear with me for a minute.

Question 20: Nothing tricky about this question, and using the graph above along with the two conditions help quickly eliminate wrong answer choices.
A: T or N not in 2nd
B: Neither S nor V are adjacent to O
C: T isn't adjacent to N or S
E: Same as C

I'd recommend starting with 1st and 5th pieces as they only have one other piece that needs to be matched.

Question 21: This is a tricky question at first glance, and here's where a good understanding of the conditions come in play in terms of saving precious time. The only musical pieces that share the fiddle (choice A) are N and T. Since one of them needs to be in slot 2, there's no way that they can be in slots 3 and 4.

Question 22: This question is where I found my arrangement helpful.
B) Can be eliminated without any work based on the second condition.
C) Here's where it gets interesting. If O is third, based on the condition on the question stem the only pieces that can come before it are S or V, but we need a T or N in the 2nd slot. Eliminate.
D) If N is fourth, that forces T second. We know that N ~> T or V so the 5th slot has to be V. Only N or S share an instrument with T, and since N is already placed, S gets 1st and O gets 3rd.
S T O N V. Based on the arrangement, everything works except the second and third.
E) Similar process as D, but this time slots one and three don't work.

Question 23: An easy question using my arrangement. O ~> S or V, but we need a T or N in slot two... Noticing the pattern?

Question 24: If S is 5th, only T or O can be 4th. Based on two hypothetical templates you can quickly make the deduction that O has to be 4th. If T is 4th it forces N 2nd, so we're left with
O/V N V/O T S. But, O ~> only with S or V. S is already blocked off and there's no way to get pair O and S with N in the way. Now that we've eliminated that, there's only two possible scenarios left: N T V O S or V N T O S. And guess what, they both work.
A) N being 3rd would put T 2nd, forcing V 1st. So this doesn't work.
B) We know that O has to be fourth. Wrong
C) Ditto. Cross
E) A nice freebie answer choice that can be eliminated based on the second condition.

I think one of the aspects that make this game difficult is the relationship within the variable set. A musical piece can share and instrument with a piece before or after or both. It also doesn't help that each piece has two instruments. But by categorizing each of the five musical pieces in a way that allows you to see just exactly what other musical pieces can be adjacent to it, helps tackle this game much more smoothly. I hope this was helpful!

csunnerberg13
Thanks Received: 24
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by csunnerberg13 Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:25 pm

What are the possible frames? I understand it should come from placing N and T in 2 but I still wasn't very confident about the frames I came up with. Especially since it says we should come up with 2...I have no idea what those 2 frames would be.

aznriceboi17
Thanks Received: 5
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

trophy
Most Thankful

by aznriceboi17 Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:18 am

The two frames are precisely what you just said: in Frame 1 we have N in 2 (from which we can deduce that either T or V is in 1); in Frame 2 we have T in 2 (from which we can deduce that either N or S is in 1). You can see mattsherman's attached diagram where he sets the two frames up.

csunnerberg13 Wrote:What are the possible frames? I understand it should come from placing N and T in 2 but I still wasn't very confident about the frames I came up with. Especially since it says we should come up with 2...I have no idea what those 2 frames would be.

csunnerberg13
Thanks Received: 24
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by csunnerberg13 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Right, but how does that lead to only 2 frames? what are those 2 frames? Even as he set it up, you can choose from 2 possible letters for the first letter of each and then there are more than just 2 options for how to structure the rest of the order, too.

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by andrewgong01 Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:07 am

Here's another way we can set up the game. I found it similar to PrepTest 72 -- the game with like the factory tools and I used that as the basis of my diagram. However, the twist compared to the Prep72 is that the sharing could be with those before or after. Hence, unlike in the Prep72 diagram, we can not simply follow the chain of arrows as jumps would be allowed . I then drew the standard 3D ordering board.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5oeS5 ... sp=sharing

AnnaT620
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by AnnaT620 Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:10 pm

When I first read the first rule I understood that there would have to be the overlap of one instrument each time - how do I avoid mis-understanding rules like this in the future? So lost with this game! Have looked at it twice now, and am still not sure how I would do these questions.

Is there any games similar to this, to help practice rules / special connection set ups like this?

Thanks!
Anna