rdeuts75
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Diagram

by rdeuts75 Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:14 pm

I am stumped. Can anyone please help me with the set-up diagram and Q3? Here are my inferences:

1) Health law can't go to Bottom floor and Injury law can't go to Top floor.

2) Labor law can't go to Middle floor

Am I missing others?

Thanks

tianfeng102
Thanks Received: 11
Forum Guests

Re: PT59 Sec. 1, Game 1 (setup and Q3)

by tianfeng102 Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 pm

LSAT could change from demon to darling, if you tame the beast (PrepTest) one after another in 60 days.

sortega917
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Diagram

by sortega917 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Can you please explain why the right answer to question 5 is C? As I understand F and S can separate and act like floaters in any floor that doesn't contain L...?

samrumenos94
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by samrumenos94 Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Because if P is on the middle floor, T must be there as well and either H or I. They are the only other two with P, as specified in the question stem. Since no others can go with L, F and S are forced to go onto one floor together.

cvoldstad
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by cvoldstad Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Could someone please attach a diagram for this? On the tracker it classified it as grouping and I had drawn a wonky 3 level 3D ordering set up.

Thanks!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ohthatpatrick Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm

We have to assign these seven things
F H I L P S T
to three floors
Top, Middle, Bottom

You could kinda see some Ordering in here because the 2nd rule deals with H higher than I. But you could also see grouping, because you're assigning 7 things to 3 spots, therefore they're gonna have to share spots (i.e. be grouped together). Also the 1st rule is a Grouping rule, "these two dudes must be assigned to the same group".

There's no 3D element, because there's no OTHER trait we're keeping track of.

A 3D game would mean we're figuring out which floor P is on AND we're figuring out some other trait about it, like whether it's profitable/bankrupt.

So you can either set this up like a normal Grouping game in which the groups are represented in columns.
__ __ __
__ __ __
__ __ __
__ __ __
Bt Md Tp

or you could rotate it horizontally, so that it better matches the vertical nature of Top/Middle/Bottom.

Top: __ __ __ __
Mid: __ __ __ __
Bot: __ __ __ __

I think I would use the horizontal groups because it's easier to see the vertical floors, and that's the way the Orientation question is written, so it's nice for my diagram to align with how THEY drew it.

I'm writing four spots per group, because they told me each floor can accommodate up to 4 people.

Rule 1: PT chunk (always in the same row together)
Rule 2: vertical chunk
|H|
|I |

Also a chunk, only has two possibilities. We either have H on Top, I on Mid, or we have H on Mid and I on Bot. (we should probably frame those)

Rule 3: L gets a row all to himself.

Okay let's frame the two possibilities for the H/I chunk. If we put H on Top and I on Mid, then L gets Bot all to himself.

If we put H on Mid and I on Bot, then L gets Top all to himself.

Frame 1:
Top: H __ __ __
Mid: I __ __ __
Bot: L

Frame 2:
Top: L
Mid: H __ __ __
Bot: I __ __ __

So who's left?
PT (in the same row), and F and S, who are floaters we can do anything with.

No one ever gets to go in L's row, so these remaining four characters have to be assigned to H's row or I's row. Can they all fit in the same row?

No, because to add P, T, F, and S to H's row or I's row would put 5 things in a group (not allowed).

So I basically have to put the PT chunk in H's row or I's row, and then I either put the two floaters in the OTHER row, or I put one of them with the chunk and the other one in the other row.

At this point, I'd go to the questions.

Let me know if you have questions.