cdc3d
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

PT 57, S1, Game 3 - The evil dinosaur game...

by cdc3d Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:21 pm

This game was pure evil. Or genius. Or both.

Nonetheless, i set it up like a binary game but ended up writing almost all of my constraints on the side, so the visual was truly unhelpful. While I was able to deduce all but one of the correct answers for the game, my set up was horrid and the questions took way too long to answer because I did not have a good visual.

Did anyone else have this problem, or did someone else develop a good visual set-up? This was not the game I wanted to see on my final day of studying! Yikes!

Thanks for your help,
Chelsea

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: PT 57, S1, Game 3 - The evil dinosaur game...

by noah Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 pm

To me the question is, what is a velociraptor? But lots of people did struggle with this game.

The key to this game was to figure out what pairs can be mauve. Before you look at this diagram, go back and try to figure that out and then answer the questions. One of my colleagues came up with this diagram -- I personally would add two more lines to represent the elements that are not chosen (and I would note those with each pair of mauve dinosaurs as well).

If you have a question about a certain question in this game, please ask.

For something that will work the same muscle group, take out Jambalaya here: http://www.atlaslsat.com/logic-games-practice.cfm
Attachments
PT57, S1, G3 -Toy Dinosaurs - ManhattanLSAT Diagram.pdf
(51.77 KiB) Downloaded 2784 times

cdc3d
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

by cdc3d Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 am

That was a much prettier diagram than the one I came up with! Thank you! I was initially thrown off by the "in/out" language and immediately started setting it up as a binary game. Only after my failed attempt to diagram the constraints did I set up an alternate ordering scenario on the side.

Out of curiosity, how can one tell most quickly what the "key" is to unlocking this type of game? For example, in this game, the key was analyzing which dinosaurs could be mauve. Did you figure that out after going through the game, or did you know that immediately after set-up? Or did you simply know that was the key because the two mauve dinosaurs represented a "chunk"?

-Chelsea

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Like you, I was tempted to treat this as a binary grouping game, but the constraints aren't generally conditionals that can be easily treated this way. The mauve constraint is very limiting to the game, particularly because there are not many elements, three of them cannot be mauve, and one of the possible mauve elements knocks out the other.

When something seems to be limiting the possibilities, explore it a bit. Sometimes you can build frames off of it, other times you can list the possibilities. Also keep an eye out for situations in which many rules connect and there is a rule that splits all the possibilities. This often means that frames will be helpful.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 pm

I know this game has already been explained, but I thought since I recently worked it up that I would post the setup and two possible frames along with an explanation to what I think may be the trickiest question - #16.

This game is very similar to the fourth game from February 1999 about pieces of furniture and their wood type. If you're interested in another game similar to this one, you should check it out. This PrepTest is only available in the SuperPrep published by the LSAC.
Attachments
PT57, S1, G3 - Each of seven toy dinosaurs - ManhattanLSAT.pdf
(107.52 KiB) Downloaded 1261 times

gethornburg
Forum Guests

by gethornburg Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm

3 dinos are fixed; S-red, I-green and P-yellow
S-red is always displayed;

2 of 4 remaining spaces must be mauve

only 4 dinos have potential to be mauve, l,u,v & t

and if l & u displayed together both CANNOT be mauve and u and v cannot be displayed together ... so ...

s - i - p - ( ut / lt / lv / vt ) ... [~ (lu) and ~(uv)] -frame 1

If s & i/p are display then 2 of the three remaining must be mauve, and if l & u are displayed together then one or the other CANNOT be mauve and u & v CANNOT be displayed together so,

s - i/p - l/u - ( u/l - t ) ... [~v] -frame 2

and

s - i/p - [ l, v, t ] ... [any two of l,v and t are mauve]-frame 3

mitchliao
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by mitchliao Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 pm

mshermn Wrote:I know this game has already been explained, but I thought since I recently worked it up that I would post the setup and two possible frames along with an explanation to what I think may be the trickiest question - #16.

PT57, S1, G3_AtlasLSAT.pdf

This game is very similar to the fourth game from February 1999 about pieces of furniture and their wood type. If you're interested in another game similar to this one, you should check it out. This PrepTest is only available in the SuperPrep published by the LSAC.

This is a very small addition, but for your frames, the frame where "V & U/L" are out, is actually a frame where V & L are out and U is in. Because the question stem already tells us that the Ultrasaur is included.

Wanted to point this out because someone else might get confused like me where they only have 3 possibilities, when the frame shows 4.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Diagram

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Wow! Good catch, thanks! I've updated the slide to reflect your correction.

ispawlak
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ispawlak Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Noah,
The tip about the mauve dinosaurs was the best thing ever. I had heard about this game and was nervous when approaching it. Luckily,I saw your post first, tried it, and solved it correctly on my first try in ten minutes.

Thank you! :D

jayparkcom
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

by jayparkcom Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm

How should I approach questions like #14? (I mean in general sense...)
I mean it's like chugging and testing is the best method?
Thank GOD that it's A...
if it were to be E or something... I should probably been suffocated by the time I test out D...

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 pm

jayparkcom Wrote:How should I approach questions like #14? (I mean in general sense...)
I mean it's like chugging and testing is the best method?
Thank GOD that it's A...
if it were to be E or something... I should probably been suffocated by the time I test out D...

You could always save this type of question for the end of the game where you can use previous work.

However, in the event that a previous hypothetical does not show any of these coming up, we need to think about makes the question work.

Lets pretend you went to answer choice E first.

It says can we have a Y-T and an R-V.

MMR _ _ ....
? ? S _ _ .... V/U _

This is our setup for the game. We can see all but one of these answer choices attempt to place toys in the last two slots. (E) for example wants to put YT and RV there. Now lets think if we can complete the board. We only have ILP as contenders. Cannot work. Go back, erase the two variables you put into those last slots and repeat. Or, be proactive and decide what the candidates are to be mauve. LTUV. Once an answer choice talks about U or V, you must remove the other from consideration to be mauve. This is how you can quickly get through the question.

myoo3
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by myoo3 Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:35 am

I had a questioning regarding the V --> -U constraint. Can't both V and U be the elements that are out instead of either U or V? This would leave I, L, P, S, T. Thanks!