case0403
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Diagram

by case0403 Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I am having a hard time with the set up. But really the last couple of constraints. Can someone explain to me how the set up should look. Thanks

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT61, S4, G3 - Womens Track Team

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Happy to help out with the setup for this game (see attached). I think you'll be disappointed with the constraints as they're not as complicated as you might have thought originally.

Let me know if you need help with some of the questions.
Attachments
PT61, S3, G3 - Women's Track Team - ManhattanLSAT.pdf
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Diagram

by cyruswhittaker Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:32 am

In reference to the last two rules, notice that they set up biconditionality:

~U--->R2

R2---->~U

Thus, R2 is a condition that is both necessary and sufficient for ~U.

As a result, U is in the race and R does not run second or U is out of the race and R runs second. With this, two different templates can be constructed.

When U is out of the race, the five into four numerical restriction leads to a single unique solution:

S, R, Q, T

When U is in the race, notice that R can not be placed in slot 2 so indicate this on your diagram.

monicaiannacone
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by monicaiannacone Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi, I had the same setup for this game but it took me 10 minutes and I got 3/6 correct, I missed #13, 15, 16. Each of these are MBT or MBF questions. Are there inferences that can be made to make these easier/quicker to solve (aside from creating all those frames)?

Also, I was thrown a little by the conditional aspects of this game and the language about "the coach's selection" which almost made me think it was open binary (and almost made me use a logic chain). i did use the correct setup but wasted some time thinking about the logic chain- is this a hybrid or how can I have noticed how to set it up correctly right away?

If Q -> QT
If ~U<->R2

Thanks!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 am

It is technically both a binary and ordering game. We have an in-out dynamic and we must order the variables from 1-4.

It is so important to note that we are selecting 4 of 5. Once we determine one person who is out, the rest of the group must all be in.

Consider this equivalent situation:

Two people will be selected to a committee out of a roster of three people: A, B, and C.

The following rules must be followed:

If A is selected then B must be selected.

Notice what happens if B is not selected.

That would mean A is not selected.

That would have two people "out" when we can only have 1.

Big picture: When you have a situation of selecting all items but one, and you have a conditional relationship such as A--->B.....you know for a fact that B must be present. This is because its absence would present 2 variables being out.

For this game, we know that T must be in. If T were not in, then Q would not be in. That is not possible as we can only have 1 person out.

Also, I did not find this game to be frame-friendly. I always, as should you, have thoughts about framing. I considered having Q out frame and Q in frame. But there are simply too many possibilities and not many inferences. Same with Q in frame, where you could slide the QT block across the 1-4 board, but even that idea is not limited that much as to who has to be out.