unclefester2013
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

Re: E41, s2, g4 Eight People - ... sit at a table

by unclefester2013 Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:40 am

I just have to say Dan... THAT WAS THE MOTHER LOAD OF ALL GAME EXPLANATIONS!! :D

Wow!! Thanks for putting in the time. I printed it out and am going to go over the game again tomorrow, and then probably in another week. I feel if I can get comfortable with "curve ball" games like this... it can only help.

Thanks!

Uncle Fester

rippinradio
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

Re: E41, s2, g4 Eight People - ... sit at a table

by rippinradio Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm

jdillier Wrote:Does anyone know any other games that are similar to this one?

The third game of PrepTest B in SuperPrep has circular linearity. I heard that there was one on this year's February administration, but obviously, you can't purchase that.

dan
Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT41, S2, G4 Eight People - ... sit at a table

by dan Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 am

Yes, the third game of preptest B in the Superprep guide is another example. Thanks for that, Rippinradio. We'll be posting our own circle game (with a twist) in a few days.

dan

sethgrant
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

by sethgrant Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Dan,

Great explanation of the game I really appreciate it! Going over your notes helped the game make a lot more sense. Will make sure to take a look at this one about once a week till before the test. Just a quick question though:

Could you have set up the OI block in 2-3 and 3-4 etc etc? You just did 1-2 because you wanted to map out the game and just wanted one template correct?

dan
Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by dan Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Exactly, Seth. If we start by placing the OI chunk, we can put it anywhere (as long as the I is immediately clockwise from the O). Remember, the numbers are irrelevant. I chose positions 1 and 2 arbitrarily.

Now, once you place them, you can't move them from there on. In other words, you're fixing their positions to start and building everything else off of that.

Does that make sense?

Another way to approach this game is to place the F - G pair directly across from one another. Again, if you start with this, you can put them anywhere as long as the F is directly across from the G. Once you do this, though, you've got to keep F - G where they are. In this case, the OI chunk would have the flexibility to move around.

In either case, we're starting with one pair, either OI or F - G, and fixing that pair.

Hope that helps!

dan

stackoutawinner
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

trophy
First Responder

by stackoutawinner Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 pm

I happened to thumb through the LSAT Advanced book and noticed this game was the first one.

Their recommended solution was identical to Dan's - to essentially use the IO chunk and then use two frames where the F/G axis can go.

They also recommended doing the conditional questions right after the orientation question and before the others. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I can see where doing a conditional question would give you a little more exposure to the set-up before conquering the other, more open questions.

Dan (or anyone else), have you ever tried a gimmick like that to gain speed? If so, your thoughts?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 pm

I think re-ordering can help. But I think that line of strategy doesn't generate a lot of benefit. Some folks go overboard and become more concerned about which question to do first than digging into the work.

That said, I will often come to a wide open unconditional question and say "let me leave this for later in case I learn a bit more from the other questions." But, it's definitely not a formalized plan for me.

The ordering that's useful is pretty well-known (conditionals before unconditionals, must be before could be's), so try it out and tell me if you find it works for you.

sgorginian
Thanks Received: 7
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by sgorginian Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 am

Dan - that explanation was incredible. I've been struggling with this problem for two days now, thought to myself that someone must have posted on the Board. Sure enough here it is.

Great detailed explanation - thank you. :D

Sevan