rich.moran78
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Conditional Grouping: Setups

by rich.moran78 Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Hello again.

Hopefully someone can help me with this little issue I have with conditional grouping and its setup. I know it is probably small, but it is driving nuts.

I just need to know does the setup go alphabetically or not? For example when the rule says; If H is in, then G is In (pg 345/346 of Logic Book) I would set it up like this:

In [u]Out[/u
H H
G G

But the solutions page (pg 346) shows the reverse G coming before H in each column. So my question is; does it matter which order their in? If so, is it alphabetically or is it whatever letter comes first?

Thanks. Again, I know it is probably a simple question but it is driving my crazy.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Conditional Grouping: Setups

by ohthatpatrick Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:24 am

Good question.

It's totally arbitrary what order they go in. Whoever wrote the diagram for the book just happened to choose alphabetical, but it makes no difference.

What you DO want to be keeping in mind when you set up the logic chain is the following:

- Write your first rule with space above and below it (for example, you don't know whether you're gonna build another rule on the G or the H, so you want to leave yourself space above and below to build on other rules)

- Once you've written a rule, for example the G/H one, remember to skip to another rule that involves G or H (if there is one). The more we can get the letters in each rule to be close to each other in our columns, the cleaner the eventual diagram will look.

Happy chaining!