Turtle Turtle
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Choosing btw. necessary and suff. answers on N. Assumpt. Qs

by Turtle Turtle Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi there,

I was drilling myself on Sufficient and Necessary Assumption questions, and the ones I keep getting wrong are ones with a necessary assumption question stem where I'm down to two answers, one answer is more of a sufficient and the other is more of a necessary. I chose the one that was more of a necessary, thinking they're trying to trick me and w/ a bridge assumption questions, and the right answer turns out to be the sufficient one.

Examples: PrepTest 68, December 2012 LSAT

(1) Section 1, Question 12: chose E vs. B.

(2) Section 1, Question 23: chose D vs. B.

There are more, but you'll get the picture. I keep choosing the answer that is REQUIRED, and gets me halfway there but doesn't completely close the gap as it is a necessary assumption, when there is a better option available (i.e. the sufficient). When I get to necessary questions and they ask me to choose between answers containing both a sufficient and a necessary, how do I know which one to choose? Is every sufficient also a necessary and therefore I should always go with sufficient if the answer is available to me?

Thanks,
Grace

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Choosing btw. necessary and suff. answers on N. Assumpt. Qs

by ohthatpatrick Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm not sure which questions you were referring to.

Section 1 on test 68 is Reading Comp.
And section 2 (the 1st LR section) does not have a Necessary Assumption question for #12 or #23.
The 3rd section (the 2nd LR section) has a Nec Assump for #23 but not for #12.

Last bumped by Turtle Turtle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm.