Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

AnthoneseB71
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

AR Strgy Guide - Basic Ordering Practice Game (PT32,S3, G3)

by AnthoneseB71 Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 am

I am stumped on this one! The exercise is on page 83 of the AR (Logic Games) strategy guide book. The following rules apply:

(1) T is performed either immediately before F or immediately after R.
(2) At least two compositions are performed either after F and before R, or after R and before F.
(3) O is performed either first or fifth.
(4) The eighth composition performed is either L or H.
(5) P is performed at some time before S.
(6) At least one composition in performed either after O and before S, or after S and before O.

I have read the 'Step 2: Notate the Rules and Make Inferences' breakdown, but am still not understanding how I am mis-interpreting rule 1, which I captured as follows: TF_ _ R or RT_ F? I am also not understanding how I am mis-interpreting rule 5 and 6, which I captured as follows: P-S_O or O_P-S?

The strategy guide does not combine these rules, why not I thought we could and should when applicable? Thanks for the assist.

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 93
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: AR Strgy Guide - Basic Ordering Practice Game (PT32,S3, G3)

by Laura Damone Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi there!

It's definitely the case that we should combine rules when it's possible to do so. The caveat: you have to be able to combine them in a way that is neat and complete.

Rules one and two, individually, look like this:

TF    or    RT    ;     R - __ __ F  or  F - __ __ R

Since there are two possible orders for each of the rules, there are actually four ways they can combine, not two:

R - __ T F     ;     TF - __ __ R

RT - __ F      ;     F - __ __ RT

Rules 5 and 6 diagram individually like so:

P - S     ;      O - __ S     or     S - __ O

Combined, they'd look like this:

O - __ S      or     P - S - __ O
        /
    P

In your version of the first option, you treated P as though it had to both precede S and follow O. But that's not necessarily the case. It could shake out like that, but P could also come before both O and S in that option. All we know for sure is that P comes before S, so we need a separate "tree branch" to attach P.

At this stage in your game play (assuming you're on page 83 because you're at the beginning of your studies), it's better to combine too little than to try to combine and end up making mistakes. When you do combine, especially either/or rules, start by diagramming out both ways the rule can shake out. Then take the second rule. If it's not and either/or rule, just carefully build it in to both existing options, making sure not to impose any additional constraints.

If the second rule is another either/or rule, re-draw your first rule again underneath your original options so you have this framework:

R - __ __ F     or     F - __ __ R
R - __ __ F     or     F - __ __ R

Then take the second rule:

TF    or     RT

And build the first option in on the top row:

R - __ T F   ;   TF - __ __ R

and the second option in on the bottom row:

RT - __ F    ;   F - __ __ RT

It's a pretty advanced strategy, but it can definitely pay off! I've seen games where this technique creates 4 frames that basically solve the game. But you've got to practice it if you want to master it! Try generating your own sets of rules to combine that follow similar guidelines and have at it!

Best of luck!
Laura
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep