Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

e.sterlingsmith
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Accuracy vs. Timing

by e.sterlingsmith Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi,
I'm restarting my LSAT Prep again after taking the class in the Spring in preparation for the test in October and I wanted to know if I should be focusing on accuracy instead of timing at the beginning when working with the 10 real LSAT Grouped by Question. If we should also be aiming to do these as timed sections should I be giving myself 35 minutes for the whole practice set as some are shorter than an actual LG or LR section for example or should I be timing each question or a few questions at a time i.e. 4 or 5?

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Accuracy vs. Timing

by rinagoldfield Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi e.sterlingsmith,

I generally recommend that students begin their studies by focusing on accuracy and ignoring timing. However, this only makes sense in the period when students are just getting familiar with LSAT strategies. Once students begin to feel familiar with good strategies, they should start thinking about timing, since timing is SUCH a big factor on this test.

You’ve already taken an LSAT prep class, so you should be at least somewhat familiar with good LSAT strategies. For that reason, I think you should time yourself on problems. Once you’ve done the problems timed, however, go back through them untimed and really consider the details of what makes the right answers right and the wrong answers wrong.

The practice sets aren’t meant to be mock sections. Don’t time them like sections, since they’re drills rather than mixed reviews.

Give yourself 1:20 for individual LR questions (maybe 1:30 for really long ones). If you want to do a couple of questions in a row without a break, just multiply the number of questions you want to do by 1:20.

Try doing full games in 8:45. Same for full passages.

Hope that helps!