Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

AnnaC659
Thanks Received: 3
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

A week or two before test day

by AnnaC659 Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 am

Hi, I'll be taking the June LSAT. I'm wondering how I should be studying during the week or two before the exam day.
Should I be going through the questions I got wrong in previous prep tests, or keep trying new questions or full preptests under timed condition?

Thank you!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: A week or two before test day

by ohthatpatrick Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm

The general theme is wind down, do some timed mixed practice, do some individual speed drills, redo problems from some of the first couple prep tests you took.

There's not much to cram for, so in the last couple days before the test, you could do little or nothing.

As far back as two weeks before or even one week before, you could take a full length practice test, but I would limit yourself to two full length tests in the last two weeks.

You can still do individual 35 minute sections throughout those two weeks, but you don't want to burn yourself out by sitting and looking at LSAT for 3 hrs at a time.

To mix up the monotony of your study life, it's good to do some timed speed drills (these are always about focusing on the easiest parts of a section and pushing yourself to finish them accurately but efficiently).

Easy ordering games - 6 mins
Two easiest games in a section - 15 mins
Easiest RC in a section - 7 mins
1st ten LR questions - 10 mins

If you've compiled a redo list of games / passages / questions to revisit, then the last couple weeks are a great time to go through those. Otherwise, grab the 2nd or 3rd practice test you ever took and try redoing those sections. You can create more powerful long-term memories when you revisit something you haven't seen in a while.

Lastly, do little drills where you practice rehearsing the mental upfront work of each section.

GAMES - read through setups and practice categorizing the game and mentally articulating what your diagram would look like. Read through the rules and see if you have a plan for visually representing each one. Assess the apparent difficulty of each question, and articulate how you'd approach this question (do it now? come back to it later? draw a new diagram? draw a new rule and connect the old rules? consult previous work?)

LR - read through the question stems of an LR section and remind yourself of what you're reading for, how you'd prephrase, and what tendencies this question type has when it comes to the stimulus or answer choices.

RC - scan an RC section and assess the apparent difficulty of the four passages. Decide which one is your least favorite and think to yourself, "I'd save that for last". Without actually reading a passage, check out its questions. Read through the question stems and ask yourself if there are keywords in the question stem that you could search for in the passage. If so, see if you can find these keywords (by scanning, not reading, the passage). If there aren't keywords, then scan the answer choices looking for extreme words.

Hope this helps.

JimK272
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: A week or two before test day

by JimK272 Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 am

wind down and do some timed mixed practice
run 3 online, gmail sign up tutorial