kirilrez
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

A philosophical question

by kirilrez Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am

The question-

I ended up picking the wrong answer, and I still cannot get why the correct answer is valid.

The way I see it the two answers differ in that the one says the two groups of theorists don't agree if the action is good or bad and the other says they don't agree on whether the action should be done or should not be done.

What I don't understand is why if an action is not good, but results in the best outcomes it should be done by the results oriented people and not by the duty oriented one, because an action can have the best results and be motivated by honour, like helping farmers in Africa grow more food?

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: A philosophical question

by timmydoeslsat Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm

From your post, I am unaware of what the stated correct answer is.

I would, however, say that it is "Theorists disagree about how to judge action."

The other answer talks about what action is justified. For all we know, every action taken can conform to both of these judgements. That is, every action may both be that of duty compelling and of that yielding the best results.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: A philosophical question

by noah Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 am

I agree with Tim. Another way to look at it is that the issue is about what question to ask when evaluating actions, not whether certain actions are justified.