rfojas11
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rfojas11 Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 am

I'm not sure why "A majority of homes in Boston are not heated by electricity" is the correct answer. I think when I read electricity, I was thrown off because it wasn't stated in the prompt.

Is the other choice wrong because we don't know anything about homes heated by gas and heated by oil? We only know that all the homes not exclusively heated by oil are heated by gas.

Also, if the prompt says that most or more than half of Boston homes are exclusively heated by oil and all of those homes not exclusively heated by oil are heated by gas- could we also infer that some Boston homes are heated by gas?

Thank you in advance for your help.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: 2360

by timmydoeslsat Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:08 pm

rfojas11 Wrote:
Also, if the prompt says that most or more than half of Boston homes are exclusively heated by oil and all of those homes not exclusively heated by oil are heated by gas- could we also infer that some Boston homes are heated by gas?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hey rfojas11,

I do not have the entire prompt that your question pertains to, but in regard to this direct point in your post, we do not know that any homes in Boston are heated by gas.

We know that a majority of homes in Boston are exclusively heated by oil.

We do not know whether this constitutes all or not, so it could be true that all homes are exclusively heated by oil.