Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

1 technical Q & 3 Q(s) in Drill.18 & 22 of 5lb. LSAT Drills

by RogerD345 Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi. first question. I cannot enter new post or question in the folder of 5lb. Book of LSAT Practice Drills.

Now rest of questions regards Drill. 18: Rules represent round 1's answer (pg.136-138)

Question 1.
pg. 137 of q.29

should n't this be

J-----> Box ( NJ) instead of

N -----> box (NJ) ---the text book answer.

Question 2.

in pg. 138. Q. 35. how come this answer is different compared to
pg. 136 question 4 and question 5. why questions 4 and 5 are graphic and Q.35 is expressed as conditional diagram?

question 3.
drill 22, Q. seven actors.
following constraints:

1. klein auditions sometime after Quan.

My question: there is no such candidate named QUAN in the entire question stem.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3803
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: 1 technical Q & 3 Q(s) in Drill.18 & 22 of 5lb. LSAT Drills

by ohthatpatrick Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks for letting us know. I couldn't post either. I think we're trying to straighten this whole thing out on the techsupport side. I emailed them to update them on the lack of functionality.

pg. 137
#29. It's correct as written, kinda.

Let's pretend that you have five possible destinations: J K L M N

If the game dictates that we visit each one of these games exactly once, then you would really just write the rule in #29 as NJ (in a box).

But the person who was writing this was picturing a game from the June 2007 test, in which you don't necessarily HAVE to use these letters (or you could use them more than once).

If you pretend you have the freedom to use these letters more than once or not at all, then it would be written as N --> NJ

You can have a scenario that is
J K L J K

That wouldn't break a rule that says "J will always be the destination after N".
Since there was no N, there was no way to break that rule.
Meanwhile, you were representing #29's rule as
J --> NJ

According to how you wrote it, a scenario like J K L J K would be breaking the rule.

Said another way, this is saying that whenever we use N, J will be the next one.
It doesn't say that whenever we use J, N will be the one before it.

But, again, there's no reason from what you read in #29 that you would know that they were picturing this rule within a game where you could use J or N more than once or not at all. If you were just picturing everyone going once, then it would be true to say this rule gives us
J --> NJ
N --> NJ
or, most simply,
NJ

-------

Q35. This one is also confusing, because they're picturing a game where it's possible that M isn't used at all or that it's used more than once.

The language of the rule technically allows for those possibilities, but it's pretty hard for you to get that from JUST the language of the rule (we would normally understand that freedom based on the game's setup paragraph).

The difference here is subtle. Consider these examples.
#35 "I will only eat watermelon or ice cream" (someone might give me both, just one of them, or neither)
#4 "I must eat watermelon or ice cream" (neither is no longer an option, but one/both still are)
#5 "I am eating either watermelon or ice cream" (neither is not an option, but one/both still are)

To better convey what they were going for, I'd prefer that #35 had been written
"Michael can only perform in week 1 or week 6."

---------------

pg. 156

Thanks for spotting that error! I just forwarded it to lsaterrata@manhattanprep.com