Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
jp.jprasanna
Students

Re: Worker Contributions CAT 5

by jp.jprasanna Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 am

---- I had a doubt but I got it cleared through other post------
vijay19839
Students

by vijay19839 Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks Tim for your suggestion on How to approach the problem!!

Thanks
Vijay
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 am

cool; let us know if there are any other questions about this one..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
SunnyJ970
Students

by SunnyJ970 Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:34 am

I am confused whether the answer option E refers to the construction " Citing X, Increasing Y..."( as if it is the study which is increasing the mobility of workers) or "Citing X, Y, Z...."?
I think the correct form might be "Citing overcomplexity, increased mobility of workers....".
I am confused with this one.
Please help.
FabiusW617
Students

by FabiusW617 Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
talk2ambarish Wrote:I am not able to comprehend the explanation given in the CAT.
Please explain me how OA is right.

what choices were you able to eliminate? were there particular parts of the choices, or of the explanation, that you didn't get?

you can eliminate a lot using verb tense. "had contributed" doesn't make sense in (a) and (d); "have been cited" and "estimated" don't go together in (b).

in (c), the initial modifier ("Citing ...") doesn't have a subject, so it applies automatically to the subject of the next clause, "less than half of eligible American workers".
the workers aren't citing anything, so that's wrong.

Also I have difficulty in solving SC questions where the entire sentence is underlined. These questions tend to take lot of my time.

Please advice me as how to tackle these questions?

they're not fundamentally different from other problems. they just have a bigger underlined part.
really - none of the techniques that you use are going to be any different.

the most important things for you to do are (a) notice the differences among the choices quickly, and, also, (b) notice the parts that are NOT different among any of the choices (so that you can ignore those parts).
often, when the entire sentence is underlined, there will be huge amounts of text in the middle of the sentence that are the same in all five choices. (remember, if there are splits that affect both the beginning and the end, then they HAVE to underline the whole thing - even if the middle is exactly the same in all the choices.)

in fact, some of the problems in which the whole sentence is underlined can be easier, since you won't have to keep looking up ... and back down ... and back up ... and back down ... etc.

Could you explain to me why in B "estimated" and "have been" don' go together ? I am not able to grasp it...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:11 am

this problem has not been active in our CAT database in almost six years. why is it still being discussed?
(i certainly hope people aren't passing around lists of problems that we purged from our CAT database years and years ago...)

this thread is now locked.