Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
eric

Will vs. Would

by eric Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Please clarify when to use will vs. would?

I understand the construction: If X happen(s), then Y will happen. And, I understand that "would" is used in hypothetical situations.

What about: If X happen(ed), then Y will/would happen. (I think would is correct here, but can I make the generalization that if an event already occurred than "would" should be used?)

Thanks again for all your help.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:30 am

There are a lot of possible variations here; it depends in part on the meaning of the sentence. For instance, both of these are correct:
If it rained yesterday, then I used my umbrella.
If my car died, I would be unhappy.
If my car dies, I will be unhappy.

The first is referring to an actual event and is set up as an if-then statement; the second is a past-tense hypothetical; the third is a present-tense possibility. In the hypothetical circumstance, yes, I use "would" not "will." But note that the generalization is not that the event occurred, in the second case. The generalization is that if I use a past-tense hypothetical, then I use "would."
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
davetzulin
Forum Guests

Re: Will vs. Would

by davetzulin Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 am

Stacey, the guide doesn't mention hypothetical construction using "should"

there is a problem with an official answer using (no idea what the source of the problem is)

"should + verb in bare form, will "
ie
should he eat the cake, he will feel sick

is the below also ok? it sounds OK, but not sure if "would" is playing its role as future from the past point of view OR a helping verb indicating uncertainty

should he eat the cake, he would feel sick
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:54 am

you know, i'm going to hold off on making a decision on either of these examples until someone demonstrates an actual GMAT problem where this shows up. i don't recall ever seeing this issue being tested, and there's no point in worrying about sentence structures that just never show up..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
zedoul485
Students

by zedoul485 Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.
A. because of the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
B. with the economy's strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
D. due to the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
E. due to the fact of the economy's continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

I'm not quite sure that if the difference between will and would actually matter in this question. :? but this is just the one with "will" and "would"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:38 am

that's a GMAT Prep problem, so it doesn't belong here.

also -- please search for existing threads!
this one has more than 75 posts, so it will almost certainly address your question in some way. check it out.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t3110.html

i'm going to lock this thread, since it hasn't had any productive activity in a long, long time.