Share your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions regarding your ManhattanGMAT course and curriculum.
sidhu4u
Students

Why are the MGMAT CAT SC's so obsessed with meaning?

by sidhu4u Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 am

I've just been through 3 of the MGMAT CATs and I've noticed something that's common to almost all the SCs. Most of the SCs rely on the meaning of the sentence to get the correct answer. I agree that meaning is important, however I never encountered this much emphasis on meaning on the 180 or so GMAT prep SC questions that I had done earlier.
I feel more of the questions should focus on grammatical issues - students should be able to identify the right answer using most rules taught in the SC guide. However this is totally not the case - most of the SC questions either differentiate the right answer on the basis of subtle changes in meaning, or state that the wrong answer is wrong because its meaning is nonsensical.
My impression of the MGMAT SCs so far is that it is rather unrepresentative of the GMAT Prep SCs.
This is just my feedback and I feel the MGMAT SCs should really put students through some of the concepts that are discussed in the GMATPrep question forum here on this site rather than focus so much on meaning of the actual question.
Can any of the instructors explain this?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Why are the MGMAT CAT SC's so obsessed with meaning?

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:09 am

sidhu4u Wrote:I've just been through 3 of the MGMAT CATs and I've noticed something that's common to almost all the SCs. Most of the SCs rely on the meaning of the sentence to get the correct answer. I agree that meaning is important, however I never encountered this much emphasis on meaning on the 180 or so GMAT prep SC questions that I had done earlier.
I feel more of the questions should focus on grammatical issues - students should be able to identify the right answer using most rules taught in the SC guide. However this is totally not the case - most of the SC questions either differentiate the right answer on the basis of subtle changes in meaning, or state that the wrong answer is wrong because its meaning is nonsensical.
My impression of the MGMAT SCs so far is that it is rather unrepresentative of the GMAT Prep SCs.
This is just my feedback and I feel the MGMAT SCs should really put students through some of the concepts that are discussed in the GMATPrep question forum here on this site rather than focus so much on meaning of the actual question.
Can any of the instructors explain this?

this post is ironic, because our questions are actually much more grammatically based, and much less meaning-based, than are the questions in OG and GMATPrep.
in fact, this is an issue that we're trying to correct the other way, because students whose studying is excessively focused on grammar (and who don't think enough about meaning) tend to score higher on our exams than on the real gmat!