Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
rschunti

Whereas heat transferred between the ocean and the atmo

by rschunti Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:31 pm

133. Whereas heat transferred between the ocean and the atmosphere occurs more rapidly when the ocean is warmer than the air, it is slow when the ocean is colder.
A. Whereas heat transferred between the ocean and the atmosphere occurs more rapidly when the ocean is warmer than the air, it is slow when the ocean is colder.
B. Unlike the slow process of heat transfer between the ocean and the atmosphere when the ocean is colder than the air, heat transfers more rapidly when the ocean is warmer.
C. The transfer of heat between the ocean and the atmosphere is slow when the ocean is colder than the air and more rapid when the ocean is warmer.
D. Transferring heat between the ocean and the atmosphere occurs slowly when the ocean is colder than the air and more rapidly when it is warmer.
E. When the ocean is colder than the atmosphere, heat transferred between them occurs slowly, unlike the more rapid transfer occurring when the ocean is warmer.

This is GMATPREP question. I chose B but this is not OA. What is wrong with "B". What is the correct answer and reason that the same is better than "B".
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:41 pm

C here is correct.

Saurabh malpani
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:55 am

i'm wondering where you really got this question - if it's actually a gmatprep problem, why is there a problem number (#133)?

--

choice b is wrong because it contains a faulty comparison: unlike the slow process of heat transfer... improperly modifies heat (the noun after the comma).
as a simpler analogy, consider the following sentence:
coming home from school, the wind blew me off my bike.
in that sentence, the wind is coming home from school (obviously not what is meant). the problem is the same as what's wrong with the problem in this thread.
budania

by budania Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:07 am

Ron can u mention all the errors on wrong options??
thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 am

choice a:
- if you take out modifiers, the basic structure of this sentence is 'whereas heat ... occurs more rapidly when blah blah blah, it is slow when blah blah blah.' that's unacceptable - it's not the heat that 'happens' (it's the transfer). remember that the gmat is very exacting about wording that means what it's supposed to mean.

choice d:
- 'transferring... occurs' is bad idiom (you can't use occurs with the gerund form)
- the 'it' toward the end of this choice is technically ambiguous (could theoretically refer to 'transferring' or 'ocean', or perhaps even 'air')

choice e:
- awkward phrasing in general (if you're a native speaker, you should definitely notice this)
- same problem as in choice a: the sentence says that the heat 'occurs slowly', which doesn't make any sense
Guest660

by Guest660 Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey Ron,

"transferring... occurs' is bad idiom (you can't use occurs with the gerund form) "

i didn't get this part ??

I crossed D as I thought its a dangling modifier... there is no subject to which transferring is applicable...
but i understand now that...transferring itself is the subject...

but didn't get what u have written about gerund forms... is this true for all gerunds and singular verbs ??
shobujgmat

Re: Whereas heat transferred between the ocean and the atmo

by shobujgmat Fri May 08, 2009 7:53 am

Well Great Explaination.

But my question is WHEN is supposed to modify TIME ?

But what is happened in here?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 pm

shobujgmat Wrote:Well Great Explaination.

But my question is WHEN is supposed to modify TIME ?

But what is happened in here?

"when" is fine here. if you insert "...at times..." between the preceding words and "when", you'll notice that this works perfectly:
The transfer of heat between the ocean and the atmosphere is slow at times when the ocean is colder than the air and more rapid at times when the ocean is warmer.

--

you may be thinking of the rules for "when" PRECEDED BY A COMMA.

if "when" follows a comma, then the word(s) before the comma should refer directly to a time period.

for instance:
in the 1950's, when high jumpers were still landing on beds of sawdust, the "Fosbury Flop" backward-style landing was impossible.
xcusemeplz2009
Students

Re:

by xcusemeplz2009 Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:30 pm

budania Wrote:Ron can u mention all the errors on wrong options??
thanks

hi ron ,
" more rapidly" is it correct here ????
as i think more(adj) and rapidly(adverb) is wrong and that eliminates A,B,D
and E is wrong for incorrect comparison....
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:32 am

xcusemeplz2009 Wrote:hi ron ,
" more rapidly" is it correct here ????
as i think more(adj) and rapidly(adverb) is wrong and that eliminates A,B,D
and E is wrong for incorrect comparison....

no, this is definitely not wrong. if you want to modify an adverb, you have to use another adverb to do so.
"more ADVERB" or "less ADVERB" is an extremely common construction in english.

--

for a problem in which the correct answer contains "more quickly", look at problem 38 in the blue 2nd edition verbal supplement (same problem as number 39 in the purple 1st edition verbal supplement).
deepakteja1988
Students

by deepakteja1988 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 am

Ron,

Please explain if 'than' is not necessary for 'more'.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:46 am

deepakteja1988 Wrote:Ron,

Please explain if 'than' is not necessary for 'more'.

if the other half of the comparison is mentioned in a whole other clause, then you can't use "than" (because you have nowhere to put it!).

for instance, both of the following are correct:

i am much more creative at night than during the day. (here, the entire comparison exists within a single clause, so we use more... than...)

during the day, i tend to think in relatively fixed patterns; at night, i am more creative. (neither clause contains the comparison by itself; the comparison is implied by the juxtaposition of the two clauses.)
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:00 am

Thank you Ron, Manhantan experts, I wish to discuss option D. I never choose D but I am not clear why D is wrong.

D. Transferring heat between the ocean and the atmosphere occurs slowly when the ocean is colder than the air and more rapidly when it is warmer.

1/ I think "it" in D is not wrong because the paralellism "slowly when.... rapidly when" tells us that "it" refer to "ocean". Ron, pls, explain more of this point.

2/ I do not know when to use NOUN and when to use DOING. I see , in many og question, we have to choose between NOUN and DOING. some persons said we should use NOUN, not DOING. Ron, pls, explain more of this point.

relative to this point is the construction POSSESSION+DOING. for example," Mr Ron' teaching gmat is wonderfull" is considered wrong. Why, I do not understand. pls, explain, I am not native speaker.
Thank you.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 am

read the thread.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
bryaneneh
Students

by bryaneneh Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi guys, I really would like to resurrect this topic as it's a great question. Is D wrong only due to the pronoun issue? The ambiguous "it"...