Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

What type of modifier is this?

by yo4561 Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:54 pm

My favorite question to ask :)

Let's say I have this example "Hannah discovered that it was James who stole her cookies, not Josh or anyone else."

To confirm, is the "not Josh or anyone else" an adverbial modifier?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: What type of modifier is this?

by esledge Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:55 pm

First, please accept our apologies for the late response. A tech glitch has hidden this folder from all logged-in Manhattan Prep staff since the New Year, so I didn’t see this question until now.

A practical technique I use for this is to pretend I am on Jeopardy! the quiz show, and turn the modifier into a question. If the answer is a verb, it's an adverbial modifier. If the answer is a noun, it's a noun modifier. So let's do this with something we know is a modifier:

Who stole her cookies? James. So "who stole" is a noun modifier.

I'm not sure the underlined part is a modifier, though. The "not" almost seems like a parallelism marker:

James, not Josh or anyone else, stole her cookies.

This makes "Josh/James/Anyone" parallel subjects that all share the verb "stole." Does putting the "not" part at the end of the sentence change anything about this? Your sentence definitely has a more complex structure, but I think the "not" part is still just a parallel with "James," so if it's a modifier at all, it's a noun modifier.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT