If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
gmatters
Course Students

what is the area of an equilateral...

by gmatters Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Guide 4, Geo, prob set 8, page 39

I was confused by the problem's wprding and I assumed that total of side is 8, since the word "each" was not included. How can I make the diference between each situation?

thanks
tim
Course Students

Re: what is the area of an equilateral...

by tim Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:22 am

Please post the entire problem so everyone can benefit from the explanation.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gmatters
Course Students

by gmatters Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 am

OK, there you go: "what is the area of an equilateral triangle whose sides measure 8 cm long?"

Again, I assumed that the total length of ALL sides was 8 cm as opposed to length of EACH side being 8 cm.

Thanks
georgepa
Course Students

by georgepa Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am

I read it as 8cm each side:

But since you have the strategy guide - the solution should have made that clear.

The takeaway is this key
Area of equilateral triangle with side of s = s^2 x sqrt[3] / 4
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am

You have a point, but the default interpretation of this statement -- even with "sides" written as a plural -- is in line with ours.

For instance, imagine that I'm going to go shopping at a store where "T-shirts cost $10", or where "oranges cost 39 cents". I think you, along with just about everyone else, would immediately understand that each T-shirt costs $10, and that each orange costs 39 cents.

These things will almost certainly be spelled out in greater detail on the official exam, but, if they aren't, just construct an analogous situation from real life (like the two I gave above) and think about what the same phrasing would mean.