Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Eddie Gutia
Students

What is an example?

by Eddie Gutia Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi,

Below is a question from MGMAT critical reasoning strategy guide. My question is stated below.

"As the United States demonstrated during its early development, it is not enough for citizens that they also know how exercise those rights. Access to formal education was one necessary component that helped the U.S. citizenry to learn how to exercise its rights. Therefore, in order for a democracy to function successfully, its citizens must have access to a formal education.

The author develops the argument by

(A) using an analogy to establish a precedent for planned future event
(B) illustrating differences in the requirements for the functioning of a democracy depending upon the democracy in question
(C) introducing an example that illustrates a common principle
(D) forming a hypothesis that explains apparently contradictory pieces of evidence
(E) supplying an alternative explanation for a known phenomenon "

The correct answer choice is C. I just want to make sure that the first sentence is an example because it is a specific instance of a general rule which is the conclusion in this case. So, going forward any such sentences which are a specific instance of a general rule should be an example. Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks,..
RonPurewal
Students

Re: What is an example?

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 am

are you sure you've copied this problem correctly?

"As the United States demonstrated during its early development, it is not enough for citizens that they also know how exercise those rights. Access to formal education was one necessary component that helped the U.S. citizenry to learn how to exercise its rights. Therefore, in order for a democracy to function successfully, its citizens must have access to a formal education.

as currently written, the boldface sentence is nonsense-- there's currently no context for "those rights" or "also".

presumably, it's supposed to say something like "it is not enough for citizens to know that they have certain rights; they must also know how to exercise those rights".

please double-check your transcription of the problem. also, which edition and which page number is this problem from?
thanks.
LisaL409
Course Students

by LisaL409 Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi,
I came across this question and got stuck as well.
It's on pg. 74 of Manhattan CR strategy guide. Question #3.
The missing part is "...it is not enough for citizens simply to have rights; the successful functioning of a democracy requires that they also know how to exercise those rights..."

I read couple of times the answer (C)--introducing an example that illustrates a common principle, along with the answer explanations, but couldn't figure out what "an example" and "a common principle" both refer to? Why is "As the United States....how to exercise those rights" an example? It's an example of what? Cause I think there should be something written before any examples. And it looks abrupt that an example appears right as the first sentence here.
And what is the "general principle"?

Thanks for your answer.
Chelsey Cooley
Forum Guests

by Chelsey Cooley Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Here's a hint: Take a very, very careful look at the difference between the first two sentences and the last one. The last sentence - the conclusion - is a very general statement about how democracies operate. The author tries to convince us of that belief regarding democracies by giving us the first two sentences. But, those two sentences aren't about democracies in general...
LisaL409
Course Students

by LisaL409 Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 am

Dear Chelsey,

Thank you very much! It's been a while after I posted this question..now after I reread this question again without reading your reply, I get a better understanding of it. Sometimes when I have a more relaxed brain, it would function better..
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 am

That's a good study tip to keep in mind!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
LisaL409
Course Students

by LisaL409 Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 am

Haha. Thanks, Tim :)
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:54 am

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html