If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
NY Tester

What are my changes? Is MBA needed?

by NY Tester Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm

After 5 years of procrastination, I have finally decided to study for the GMAT. (Very bad at standardize test hence the wait.). I have a low college GPA 3.2 overall and 3.3 in my major. In order to supplement the low GPA, I finished my Masters from Stevens Institute of Technology with 3.6 GPA while working FT time.
I’m looking to apply to Stern, Wharton and Cornell EMBA. I have 9 yrs experience in product control, project management in capital markets for various investment banks in NYC.

What GMAT score will I need to be competitive in the above schools?

And does MBA help in my case as I have a masters degree already and not looking to change industries but accelerate to seniors roles.

Thanks
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Check the GMAT averages for each of these schools - your score should be as close to the average as possible to be competitive given your undergrad GPA (although your GPA of 3.2 isn't as bad as you think for b-school - it's within the middle 80%; remember that this isn't law or med school where it's full of "A" average students; b-schools, even the top ones, are usually full of mostly "B" average students).

As for the EMBA, it's designed precisely for people like you who are experienced mid-career professionals (most have 8+ years experience), and who are simply looking to move up within their industry into more senior managerial roles. So it's not an "advantage" as much as the EMBA is the right fit for you.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com