Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
sid_arhat
Students

Use of BUT and run on sentences

by sid_arhat Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

4 The Edition Sentence Correction- Odds & End -Problem Set Ch 10, Q- 5, Pg 197

Hi! I am confused regarding the explanation of following question:

The negotiations between the company, the union, and the city government were initially contentious but ultimately amicable.

MGMAT explanation:
The negotiations AMONG the company, the union, and the city government were initially contentious but ultimately amicable.

I have understood the choice of AMONG instead of between; however the usage of BUT in this sentence is confusing me. PS- I am a non native English speaker, and I am yet to study idioms.

a) I have noticed But being normally used as a Coordinating conjunction; hence in this case it should have followed a comma along with a subject (negotiations) to avoid a run on sentence. How do we decipher the usage of But in these cases from run-ons?

b) Secondly, if But is being used as a Preposition, then it should have linked a noun, pronoun or a phrase. Ultimately and amicable are adjectives, so where is the noun/ pronoun in this case?
The only appropriate useage that I can think of But in this case is that of Adverb..
c) Thirdly, Are we better of using Although (or other subordinator) at the beginning of the sentence and a comma with a subject instead of BUT? Both contentious and amicable are antonyms; thus they justify a subordinator.

Eg.: Although the negotiations AMONG the company, the union, and the city government were initially contentious, the negotiations were ultimately amicable. (Will this sentence fail for concision?)

Thanks,
Sid
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

Re: Use of BUT and run on sentences

by pranabiitkgp Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:30 am

Hi Sid ,
''BUT' is a coordinating conjunction and rightly used here...there has no run on case as there has explicit mention of two different time 'initially & ultimately ' . But can simply be used as to reverse the meaning or opposite the meaning. 'he is slow but steady ' .
Although can not help a meaning to take a 'U' turn but 'BUT' can.
Never worry too much with comma',' , GMAT does not test that .

Pranab.
sid_arhat
Students

by sid_arhat Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Pranab thanks for your insights; however I am still not convinced. I would agree that I had learned similar usage (BUT for u-turn); however Manhattan GMAT 4th edition on page number 189 says that a Coordinating conjunction allows two main clauses to coexist peacefully as equals and subordinators on other hand act as partisans... ... Let me know your take on it?

In the mean time I would really appreciate if a Manhattan GMAT instructor could reign in and clarify?

I think I went too overboard with Coordinating conjunctions and comma.. I was looking at OGMAT 11th edition Question number 9, they have used "but" as a conjunction without a comma.
The OGMAT question is:
Subspots, Vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun's pole or equator.

Answer is A, so the sentence is correct. The explanation further says, "The contrast itself is indicated by the conjunction but."

Thanks,
Sid
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm

you have brought up three issues around use of the word "but" in this sentence: prepositions, idioms, and joining of two independent clauses. all three are 100% irrelevant here. you do not need a comma to join a pair of two word phrases with the word "but". when you are looking at parallelism in a sentence, don't try to rewrite the sentence in your mind. just look at what's on the page and decide whether there is anything wrong with it. in this case there is not..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
AnkitA852
Students

by AnkitA852 Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Shoudn't the answer be :

The negotiations AMONG the company, the union, and the city government were initially contentious but were ultimately amicable.

Please explain why above is not true.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely. Are you suggesting that an additional 'were' could be added to the sentence? If so, you're correct that it could be added - both your version and the version in the guide are correct. When it comes to parallelism, there's often more than one correct version. We have the option to repeat certain small words (sometimes it makes it clearer to do so), but so long as the elements are parallel and they match up with the root phrase correctly, then the sentence is fine.