Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

usage of prefer to/ prefer rather than

by manhhiep2509 Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 am

I am confused about the usage of "prefer" because sometimes I see people use "prefer X to Y", other time people use "prefer X rather than Y". Which of the usage is correct? Which part speech are X and Y can be? i.e. noun, verb, to verb, verb-ing

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: usage of prefer to/ prefer rather than

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:48 am

manhhiep2509 Wrote:I am confused about the usage of "prefer" because sometimes I see people use "prefer X to Y", other time people use "prefer X rather than Y". Which of the usage is correct? Which part speech are X and Y can be? i.e. noun, verb, to verb, verb-ing

Thanks!

"Prefer this to that" is correct. "Prefer this rather than that" is redundant, and therefore incorrect.

The two things should be nouns, and/or things that can act as nouns (e.g., "to + verb" and "verbING").
conquerer1
Students

by conquerer1 Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Does the usage change with infinitive clauses?
He prefers to sit to to stand
or
He prefers to sit than to stand.

Please clarify.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:26 pm

conquerer1 Wrote:Does the usage change with infinitive clauses?
He prefers to sit to to stand
or
He prefers to sit than to stand.

Please clarify.

Thanks

You wouldn't use "prefer ... to ..." with those. You'd use __ing forms instead ("He prefers sitting to standing").
GursimranK432
Students

by GursimranK432 Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:28 am

@Ron Is there a difference between "prefer X to Y" and "prefer X over Y"?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 am

As far as I'm aware, GMAT uses the idiom 'prefer X to Y' and doesn't use the idiom 'prefer X over Y'. I couldn't find any SC problems in the OG 2018 that use the verb 'prefer' in any idiom. Have you seen an official GMAT problem with the idiom you mention?
ishanim547
Students

by ishanim547 Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:36 am

Advanced OG, 2020 question

Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

Correction: Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

Hence "prefer over" - is clearly allowed.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:49 am

Interesting find. However, the idiom here isn't quite the same as 'to prefer X to Y'. Here, 'preferred' is basically an adjective, so that the idiom is 'X has a preferred status over Y'. I would see it as similar in both meaning and usage to 'X has priority over Y'. This example doesn't imply that GMAT will use the idiom 'to prefer X over Y', but, of course, it's possible that it will turn up in the future.