Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
rschunti

usage of however in a sentence

by rschunti Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Is a sentence that starts with "However" considered as independent clause or dependent clause?
For e.g. in below sentence:-
"However much you request, I will not change my mind."

Is the above sentence grammatically correct? Is it not considered as run-on sentence with with no logical connection established between the two halves? Pls explain?
Thanks
rschunti

another example

by rschunti Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Another example as mentioned below:-
"However much you spend, I will reimburse you." (Is this usage correct?)

The first part of this sentence that starts with "However much you spend" is in itself an idependent clause starting with conjuctive adverb "however". The second part of the sentence "I will reimburse you" is also idependent in itself. I am considering these two part of sentences as idependent clauses separated by comma? Is it not a run-on sentence with no logical connection established between the two halves? Pls correct me and explain?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:11 pm

interesting point.

i think you're used to the more common use of 'however' (= as a transition word to introduce contrasting points). in that usage, you'd be right: the two parts would be independent clauses, and as such would need to be connected by a semicolon, or would require a conjunction of some sort.
for instance:
the deadline is friday, however, i can allow you to submit the paper on monday. --> run-on, incorrect**
the deadline is friday; however, i can allow you to submit the paper on monday. --> correct

**this is acceptable in british english, but not in american english (the gmat uses american english)

--

the sentence you're put here, though, use a different and lesser known meaning of 'however' that does NOT involve contrast or transition: in this sense, 'however' can be removed and replaced roughly by the words 'no matter how'.
so:
however much you request, --> no matter how much you request,
if you make that substitution, i think you'll see that the sentence is ok.

hope that helps.
rschunti

need more information

by rschunti Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks Ron for explanation. I will remember this now.Can I assume that "However much" is a idiom used in American english?
Do you know of any good web site that talks about these exceptions as we have discussed above.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:26 pm

There are exceptions to pretty much any English grammar rule you can think of. Don't kill yourself trying to learn every last exception - remember the 80/20 rule. Spend most of your time learning the stuff that's most likely to be tested on the exam!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
huntgmat

by huntgmat Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am

Apologies to bump in the discussion.

the deadline is friday; however, i can allow you to submit the paper on monday. --> correct

But,
the deadline is friday; i can allow you,however, to submit the paper on monday.

May be example is not very appropiate, but I mean the position of however could shift in the contruction IC;however,IC
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:20 am

You can put the however in either place, though the classic construction is to have it right after the semi-colon to indicate the contrast right away. But the other option is not incorrect.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep