If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
vpimba89
Course Students

Unique situation: pre-MBA work experience

by vpimba89 Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:30 am

Hi all,

I will be applying to MBA programs for Rd1 this Fall. My short-term goal is going to be mgmt consulting, and long-term goal to be at the executive level of a leading non-profit. As such, I plan on applying to microfinance/impact investing/social consulting 'fellowships' that would take place the summer before starting school (example: Kiva Fellows program) in developing countries. For some of these programs, I will know if I am accepted or not before the application deadline for these schools. For other programs, I will not. So my question is two-fold:

If I am accepted into one of these programs before submitting my app, does it strengthen or weaken my profile to include this? Or is it better to just not mention it and go about my way? Similarly, if I am accepted after submitting an app (would likely be just a few weeks later), would it make sense to reach out and notify the adcoms of my plans?

Intuitively I think it would strengthen my application as it fits directly into my goals and will be a unique experience. However, given the timing issues I'm not sure how to approach it.

Thanks in advance - any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!!!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Unique situation: pre-MBA work experience

by mbaMissionKate Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi there!
Yes, I absolutely think it strengthens your application. From what I know those are competitive fellowships to get and getting one would also be putting you one step closer to your eventual goals. Those are exactly the sorts of things the AdCom likes to see. So definitely mention it in the application, likely via the Optional Essay. If you can't make it in on time, then yes I think that warrants a brief update to the school. Though double check with each school's policies, some (like I believe Harvard) does not allow updates after you submit. Though you can provide updates when you interview.
Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php