Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Two modifiers modify a noun

by MdAbuAsad Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:47 am

Ron,
Is there any chance to write a sentence in which two modifiers modify a noun in a row at a time?
This is urgently needed!
Thanks.
tim
Course Students

Re: Two modifiers modify a noun

by tim Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:58 am

My friend Bob owns a shiny new red car.

"shiny", "new", and "red" all modify "car", and this is perfectly fine. Think of it this way:

"red" touches "car", and this effectively creates a new noun "red car". Now "new" touches "red car", and this creates a noun we can think of as "new red car". And of course "shiny" touches "new red car". So each of these modifiers touches something that it is actually modifying.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:35 am

The example is fine. But, my question was: the modifier will be WITH COMMA (not WITH NO COMMA).
Any example of MODIFIER WITH COMMA, which will modify a NOUN at a time.
Thanks.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:59 am

Asma Wrote:The example is fine. But, my question was: the modifier will be WITH COMMA (not WITH NO COMMA).
Any example of MODIFIER WITH COMMA, which will modify a NOUN at a time.
Thanks.

No, that actually wasn't your question. I checked. :)

And this second thing you mention isn't technically a question either. Please pause for a moment, consider what you actually want to ask, and then ask it in the form of a question so we can understand what you're getting at and can help you.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:42 am

Yep. You are correct. My question was not like that what I wanted to say.

Actually, I want to ask a NEW question about it.

Any example of MODIFIER WITH COMMA (not WITH NO COMMA), which will modify a NOUN at a time.
Thanks.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:45 am

Asma Wrote:Actually, I want to ask a NEW question about it.

Ask a question then! Please understand that one way to get better at SC (and the GMAT in general) is to be careful about your own writing. If you purport to ask a question but don't include a question mark anywhere in your post, not only does it indicate a lack of inattention on your part that will be devastating to your GMAT score, but it also makes it very difficult for us to determine exactly what we can help you with. I will say it once more: Please pause for a moment, consider what you actually want to ask, and then ask it in the form of a question so we can understand what you're getting at and can help you.
Tim Sanders

MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 am

Any example of MODIFIER WITH COMMA (not WITH NO COMMA), which will modify a NOUN at a time?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 am

Asma Wrote:Any example of MODIFIER WITH COMMA (not WITH NO COMMA), which will modify a NOUN at a time?

i don't understand what the purple thing means.

try this:
make up a specific context.
come up with some ideas that create a sentence. i.e., make up some specific nouns and modifiers, along with the requisite relationships ("i want this modifier to describe this noun, and that one to describe that noun").

then, in terms of those particulars, ask your question. that way, it should be more clear what you are asking.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 am

even better—
just go ahead and cite the problem that inspired this question.

it's quite clear to me that this question is not random; in other words, you didn't just think of it one day while you were sitting around.
rather, you must have seen such a thing in an actual problem somewhere.

what was the problem?

thanks.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 am

Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

A) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated

B) Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

C) Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

E) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated

Ron,
In this problem:
Through their manuscript illuminations---an adverbial modifier.
meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy---also an adverbial modifier.
Medieval monks----Noun (Something).

Option B is not correct because these two modifiers modify Medieval monks at a time. The logic is: the two modifier can't modify a noun (something) at a time. Is the logic perfectly fine?

Could you please give me another logic for what Option B can't be an actual answer of this question?

Thanks.
ManishH404
Course Students

by ManishH404 Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 am

B) Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

Option B is not correct because these two modifiers modify Medieval monks at a time.

In this option - Isn't 'meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy' modifying 'manuscript illuminations'? (which is incorrect)? It should modify Monks who embellish caligraphy 'with their manuscript illuminations'?

I think this is the issue with option A and B. D & E sound awkward.

I would pick C which clearly lays out the relationship.

Mods can please confirm / correct?

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:01 am

We need a citation of the original source for any problem posted here. Please provide one.

Thanks.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Source: Veritas Prep
Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 am

Asma Wrote:Source: Veritas Prep
Thanks.

ok.
i wouldn't recommend this source, by the way. problems from this source tend to be either (a) carbon copies of official problems, or (b) problems with serious faults.

this one is an example of (a). it's pretty much an exact copy of #104 in og 13th, only with different words. (amusingly enough, they didn't even bother to scramble the choices, which follow exactly the same order as the corresponding OG options.)

so, i'll ignore this problem and address your query with respect to the OG problem. (please DO NOT post the OG problem here.)

see below.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 am

ok. a construction like choice B is possible. here's an example:
In 1989, taking a road trip across the country, I met the man who would become my best friend.

here's how this works:
In 1989, (taking a road trip across the country, (I met the man who would become my best friend)).

i hope the colors make sense.
"in 1989" modifies the entire orange sentence, including the modifier that opens that sentence ("taking...").
"taking a road trip..." describes the blue sentence, as is standard for such modifiers.

the problem is that choice (b) doesn't work this way.
if we use the same colors for choice (b), then "in ... illustrations" (remember, i'm discussing the OG problem) is supposedly describing everything that follows——including "coordinating...".
that's nonsense, though, because, clearly, that coordination doesn't happen IN the illustrations.
rather, it's just an additional fact about the illustrations——a purpose for which the "___, which..." modifier (as in the correct answer) is perfect.